Author Topic: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]  (Read 60829 times)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
Re: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 09:16:49 PM »
Jubal, take a look at what I have here. : P
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.
Tales From Windy Meadow - my fantasy pixel art Visual Novel.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 11:20:10 PM »
Yes that summarises the issues pretty well I think :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 11:55:20 AM »
If you have any counterpoints or would like to present a different take, I'd be happy to talk about it. : )
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »
The new version of the demo is now available, and not only it has multiple minor and major fixes, but also some bits of additional content.

Unless a large bug will be found, I currently assume that the version 0.3 won’t be updated in the nearby future. And it should be able to fairly portray the gist of what I want Roadwarden to be.

If you haven’t played the demo before, this is the version that I would recommend. However, if you’ve already play it through, you may be interested in checking out the following changelog. A deeper look will be available on Monday, in the new devlog.

The Mac version is now available.
Though it’s not tested very well. If you find any issues, please let me know.

The achievements don’t kill you anymore.
I’m surprised (and relieved) that only one person have encountered this problem. From now on, clicking on the received achievement won’t crash the game.

You can switch the font to a pixel one.
Whenever you want, you can switch between a pixel-artish font (which looks nice) and the regular font (which is easier to read). The regular font is still used by default.

Now you can actually beat the game! (and unlock the worst endings)
A new icon on the map allows you to complete the game, even in the very first morning. The “ending” section doesn’t have illustrations yet, but is altered by the goal that you’ve chosen for your character.

Added new travel descriptions.
If you’re in the Southern Crossroads and move either to the dolmen or the tavern for the first time, you’ll see examples of the new travel descriptions. This tool will also make random encounters much easier to implement.

Added a couple of options to the dolmen.
Parsers in the dolmen respond now to more commands. Also, a small bug involving the secret was fixed.

Rolling back works better with various menus (like map and sleeping).
Using a mouse or keyboard to “roll back” when a map or other complex menu are displayed sometimes created issues. From now on, it will only close the displayed menus, without instantly jumping back.

Pointing at your HP is now more elegant.
It won’t cover the main narration and is generally more responsive.

Fixed some typos and rephrased a couple of things.
Among the major changes - the inventory descriptions are now significantly more polished and the “choices” are more consistent.

And here is the latest devlog, portraying the problems with labeling the game through traditional genres.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »
Whenever you encounter new NPCs in Roadwarden, you can select one of the 5 attitudes to impact the first impression you're going to make. Attitudes affect the tone of the conversation, what the NPCs think about you and what dialogue choices will be available to you in the future.

A group of bandits surrounds you. Some of them hold swords, others have loaded crossbows. Do you try to ease the tension by being friendly? Do you try to intimidate them? Do you act vulnerably, hoping they spare you?

Do you like what attitudes can you currently choose from? Do you think there should be any more?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 11:42:58 PM »
I think it's a good set. I guess I feel like maybe an "annoying" one could have its uses, to get a character to chase your or get them to dislike you without actually trying to puff yourself up and scare them - so then you'd have two positive/friendly attitudes (playful and friendly), two neutral to weak attitudes (Distanced and Vulnerable) and two antagonistic attitudes (Intimidating and Taunting/Annoying).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 06:50:30 PM »
Interesting! I saw other suggestions as well, but I think "annoying" would be a bit weird. I would not introduce options such as "I'm annoying so people are chasing me into the forest", and maybe these taunts would work better for me if introduced as dialogue options instead of first-contact attitudes.

Thank you for giving me something to think about, Jubal!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 09:52:06 PM »
Yes, I guess it might be better as a dialogue option, that's a fair point. :)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
Maybe evasive? Or perhaps better: coercive. That might be the same as what you were saying about annoying, though. In that trying to trick them is more of a dialogue option.

Perhaps offish? Like be snooty and aloof?
<< Signature redacted >>

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 08:40:20 AM »
I love the color palette and the game looks overall. You have some very nice visuals and it will attract attention from players for sure.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »
Thank you, Bigosaur! I can only hope and try. : P

@Tusky - Thank you as well! I think "offish" was what I had in mind when I decided to write "distanced." It's possible that I should change it.

So, my “break” is over! I’m back into the full-dev mode and it feels great. <3

I’m working on the dialogues for the first tavern. There’s a lot of things to talk about and to do here, and guess what. You don’t even Have to come here, and if you’re aggressive toward the innkeeper, you’ll just get thrown out. Choose your Attitudes wisely!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 11:45:58 AM »
The innkeeper sounds like a good character :) Good to see more progress!

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »
Hi, I'm Aureus and I love dialogues.

But seriously, how much can you do in a single tavern?

And yes, you still are going to be able to beat the game without ever going to this area.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
Writing big dialogue trees is definitely a skill - well done!

How've things been going lately? I saw you were at a castle for some convention or other?

Also, Roadwarden got the top spot in the most recent Updates :)
https://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5985.msg133668#msg133668

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 06:54:12 AM »
Cheers, Jubal! The game is moving slowly, especially since a large chunk of my time was centered around the two 1-hour speeches I've prepared for the convention. I spent days on writing and rewriting them, and I've practiced each one of them at least twenty times... But they went great, it was a large ego-boost to me to see what a positive feedback I've received. <3

Also, a week ago I've written a devlog that gets deeper into how the dialogue writing looks... I'm still rewriting and adding new pieces, but you may be interested in the cogs behind the scenes. https://www.indiedb.com/games/roadwarden/news/writing-dialogues-for-the-clean-spear-tavern-roadwarden-devlog