Author Topic: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]  (Read 60797 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2019, 02:40:30 PM »
Ooh nice - signs of life and change :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »
In the original Roadwarden’s Design Document, there were no game-overs. You could get significantly hurt during your journeys, but never to the point where you’d face a brick wall that would make the further progress impossible. You need to rest and heal your wounds to participate in some events, but you can always move forward.

I’ve finally decided to change it. In most situations, reaching 0 HP won’t result in an instant death. But in some scripted encounters - usually when facing an overwhelming opponent while being completely unprepared - your character will be broken.

Still, I hope to make it as player-friendly as possible. Did you forget to save your game? Was autosave ran in an inconvenient spot? You can jump back in time a bit, no strings attached.

The game now also involves some new systems, like a redesigned “armor level”. I’ll talk more about it in the next devlog.

Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.
Tales From Windy Meadow - my fantasy pixel art Visual Novel.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »
Yes, that makes a lot of sense mechanically and allows for some extra storytelling ending options - I like it :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
<3 Thank you!
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »
Wishlisted!

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2020, 08:29:10 PM »
Thank you for your trust! <3

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2020, 01:06:26 PM »
Roadwarden looks much better now, all thanks to the new font. : ) The text has more space to breathe, the letters have more personality, and thanks to the serifs, it’s going to be easier to keep track of the lines you read. Everybody wins.

Other changes were introduced as well, such as the new addition to the inventory screen - when you now point at any icon, the item’s name is instantly displayed, so you don’t have to click anything if you try to quickly find something in your equipment.

I currently write dialogues, quests and stores for the game’s largest area, it’s quite exhausting, and I try to avoid spoilers. : P However, you can expect more posts very soon.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2020, 01:43:08 PM »
For this ScreenshotSaturday, I have a rather large update. And a lot of pictures to show. Too many for a forum post. Oh dear, that must mean... It’s devlog time!

And here it is!

I wrote about the map updates, the new armor system, UI adjustments, the new Journal, the most recent WIPs, and recapped the stuff related to the game over screens and the new font.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »
I took a little break from writing and drew some new areas. One of them is this abandoned fishing hamlet that I really like.

Places like this one are somewhat common in this fantasy realm. No village can have access to all the goods it requires to prosper, but daily travels for additional resources can turn out to be fatally dangerous. If a village has enough working power and supplies, it will sometimes start a new, small settlement focused on a specific field of work.

You can find among them mines, quarries, and brickworks, but also houses for hunters, lumberjacks, and charcoal burners, as well as temporary shelters for workers who build bridges or roadside inns. The fishing hamlet we see here allowed the locals to fish, and to preserve their meat by curing and smoking.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
This is very neat - reminds me a bit of cultures where they have separate settlements that they move between for pasturing flocks for different parts of the year.  :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2020, 01:15:09 PM »
The game has grown tremendously, though I try to keep everything spoiler-free. : ) For now, how about a tune?

We want our music to be subtle, not bluntly cheerful, nor overwhelming tense. The today's example is on the "brighter" side, but we still tried to hide some uncertainty in it. Is "post rock folk" a thing?

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »
Lovely tune!
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »
Yeah, that's beautiful - and definitely does the atmosphere I think you're going for. Super nicely done :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2020, 09:03:25 PM »
Thank you both, I'm glad you think so!

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »
Villages in Roadwarden are secluded and often self-sufficient, doing their best to utilize their landscape and the nearby resources to their advantage. This also results in the common distrust of strangers, especially of those who attempt to shake the status quo.

Even the smaller settlements need to have their guard up, but the high walls are often not enough to keep the beasts, undead, and highwaymen at a distance.