Author Topic: 2022-23 Creative Competition: SNOWSTORM  (Read 13898 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
2022-23 Creative Competition: SNOWSTORM
« on: December 14, 2022, 10:22:17 AM »
Creative Competition: Snowstorm

Winter Storm Austin by David Kitto, CC-0 Usage Rights, via Wikimedia Commons.

It's time for another of our winter creative competitions! In the last few years our Winter Sunset and Aurora competitions have looked at light in the depth of winter cold, but this year we have a faster moving theme: SNOWSTORM. Out there as the year turns, the sky is twisting in the wind and the clouds are heavy with ice: in blizzards and snowstorms we tackle the fickle and dangerous parts of winter's chill, and the times when we can see least light ahead of us - but also the potential for hope and survival, so important when one cannot find the way forward. As usual, any creative response to the theme word is very welcome indeed, and we're really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

The rules are as follows:
1. Produce your entry. It can be a game,artwork, story, poem, recipe,  rules supplement, sculpture, dance piece, music, whatever - any sort of creative response to the theme.
2. PM your entry (or a link thereto) to Jubal, or send it by email to exilian@exilian.co.uk, and post in this thread to say you've put your entry in. Entries that don't have both the post and PM in will not be considered, and you must not post your entry publicly during the contest (so as to ensure judging is name-blind).
3. Each person is allowed up to two entries.
4. Entries must be in by 23:59 GMT, February 5, 2023. (Extended from original Jan 31 deadline)
5. The judges will score each work out of ten on two grounds: how good a response to the prompt it was, and how well executed the result was.
6. Winners will be announced by or before February 20. All entries will then be posted in a public showcase.

PRIZES

Main Prize:
1x copy of ROCKPOOL, the tabletop role-playing game about life on the shoreline by Jubal
1x copy of TOURNEY, the Medieval Tournament Simulator by Tusky Games
1x poem on a topic of your choice, written by Jubal

If you'd like to donate a prize and thereby sponsor the competition, please get in touch :)

THE JUDGES

Katrina Keefer is a Canadian historian and game developer who works primarily on the history of West Africa, and on taking innovative digital approaches to allow people to immersively explore and understand the past. Much of her work focuses on the slave trading period in West Africa, and on methods to connect better with the biographies, societies, and identities of enslaved persons. Her current project Bunce Island - Through the Mirror uses 3D reconstructions of the Bunce Island slave fort in Sierra Leone over time to allow both local and diaspora communities from the region to see enslaved people and experiences around the fort in an immediate and empathetic framework. She has also worked on game representations of late medieval literature and the world around it, and was a contributor to Exilian's Coding Medieval Worlds: Networks and Connections workshop in 2021.

Lucy Wright is a contemporary folk artist and researcher from England whose writing, painting, crafts and performance art both examine and draw upon the connections between people, society, and tradition. She looks at folk art forms as evolving and growing traditions, and how these can be connected with current society and with groups often excluded both from narratives around folk traditions and from society as whole. She is currently head librarian at the Social Art Library project, a collection of different art forms that connect to contemporary social issues and practices in the UK: her works include the Folk Is A Feminist Issue Manifesta, the Performing Englishness in Japan project on the cultural contexts around Morris dancing practiced by Japanese dance sides, and works in recent years re-imagining apotropaic and protective customs and how they might connect to a socially distanced world in pandemic conditions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:02:40 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: 2022-23 Creative Competition: SNOWSTORM
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 12:00:40 PM »
I've submitted my entry! ❄️❄️❄️
<< Signature redacted >>

ohnojoh

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 01:42:23 PM »
I've submitted!

vicorva

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 05:07:05 PM »
I have entered as well! :tusky:
~V (They / Them)

StoryDragon

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 08:40:49 PM »
I have submitted an entry as well!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 03:05:06 PM »
Thanks for all the entries so far! As noted here, the deadline has now been extended to Feb 5 :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Skylark

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 11:25:25 PM »
I've submitted an entry!

ahuggingsam

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 10:51:13 PM »
I've also submitted!  :tusky:

StoryDragon

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 07:54:24 PM »
I submitted a second entry!
Thanks for hosting this competition, by the way!

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 09:10:42 PM »
I have also now submitted my entry! :)

vicorva

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 12:38:47 PM »
I have submitted a second entry!  :bard:
~V (They / Them)

Nanna

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 07:34:48 PM »
I've submitted my entry  :)

Brynn

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 10:20:08 PM »
I have submitted!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 12:24:23 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone who submitted! I think this might be the most entries we've ever had! We'll get everything to the judges soon and we'll of course let people know as best we can when the results are out :)