Author Topic: Township - Development Thread  (Read 104273 times)

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Re: Township - Development Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
Working on getting a user interface implemented :) .

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
Woop!  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »
So, the user interface never got implemented (QML and Qt4-style QGLWidgets don't play nicely). Getting a job meant my free time for this got swallowed somewhat, not to mention my motivation to program when I got home having been programming all day. However, recently my motivation for this has been coming back. I currently plan to re-do the display using more up to date Qt stuff so that the user interface work is nice and simple, then finish the other stuff I said I would somewhere and finally release something for people to play around with!

DeepComet5581

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Kitten with a Camera
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2014, 10:25:22 PM »
Wow. Exilian might just become a base for Indie game development!

Anything further to share about Township?
I used to do actual stuff around here, don't you know?

I would be ever so grateful if you would visit my YouTube Channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLjOCNLe0ECID84Y3nrEjQ

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm hoping to see if we can attract a couple more devs in the next few months   :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2016, 12:09:35 AM »
I played my original python version of this today, and fixed a couple of the awful bugs that were causing it to crash after a few seconds :D .

I also remembered how unfinished the second python version is, and the C++ version that I managed to break at some point...

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »
I got bored of writing code for yamlui and wrote a thing to generate a map using OpenSimplex noise to create both coherent landmass and easily allow the same map to be reproduced from a seed. The result is vaguely similar to the screenshots of the unfinished second python version, but with larger landmasses and less "randomness" similar to the screenshots of the C++ version.

The neat thing here though is I implemented a system such that the map is generated and rendered in 16x16 chunks, which avoids the issue the unfinished second python version of Township had wherein if the map was larger than about 150x150 tiles the framerate became very poor. I "just" need to come up with a way to load/generate chunks on the fly and there is no reason to limit map size anymore.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2016, 05:01:55 PM »
It'd be nice to see another working version of Township sometime :)

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2016, 10:03:25 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly. I was talking to Lady Grey about it a couple of weeks ago and decided I had to give it another, better, go. That's what caused me to start actually implementing yamlui after a similar but less strong bout of motivation struck last year and gave me that idea (sadly that inspiration ran out after trying to write an example ui definition).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's what I've got so far with this map generator, trees could use some work to render them less uniformly, and stop them being cut off by chunks below and to the right. This map is 256x256 tiles, but it can be infinite if I just figure out a neat way to generate chunks on the fly. That 181 is the fps I'm getting, which compared with about 30 fps on the old unfinished python version with a 200x200 map is quite an improvement...

I'm also still not happy with the rocks, maybe I'll switch back to tiles that are 32x32 pixels instead of 16x16.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:13 PM »
Hm, in visual terms I feel like the rocks could look OK, but probably need a bit more graphical variation and possibly tweaking to look a bit more "smooth" on average rather than the "clutch of eggs" look they have now. What you've currently got looks a bit like the design of a whole outcrop rather than part thereof, I guess, which fits with what you were saying about 32x32 tiles.

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2016, 11:57:14 PM »
I decided to make them less bright, and more smooth. I think they look much better now!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adding that graphical variation is the only improvement I've made so far sadly, but I do now have a clear picture in my head of how the infinite map will be implemented, I just have to get time to do it.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it when you do get the time :)

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
Another year, another bit of working on Township.

I finally got the time and motivation to implement infinite map generation a couple of months ago whilst flying to the US. That is all I did until recently when I've decided to try and make another attempt at sustained work on this. I've been taking an approach of setting myself a small number of easily achievable things to do each day, and doing just them, in an attempt to avoid getting too burnt out or bored of it. It seems to be going OK so far, since my main problem is wishing I had more time to dedicate to it...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2017, 11:56:11 PM »
Good to hear from you - I hope it continues to go well.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2017, 12:48:05 AM »
^ Likewise. I don't think any of my old versions work any more, but I'd be interested to see a new one if it ever emerges :)