Author Topic: SotK's Spain Mod  (Read 37298 times)

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Re: SotK's Spain Mod
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »
Rebalancing lead to a new culture, but that's how I roll...

Anyhow, there is now a release-able mod here, with minimal bugs as far as I have found. Going to playtest some more then release between now and Friday! This release will include some new buildings, however they (with the exception of a certain, important one) won't appear on battle maps just yet. Also Spain won't be awful anymore (although fighting Romans should provide a nice challenge)!

No phalanx yet (sorry Phoenix :P ) but I may add an AOR where Hellenic colonies were historically to allow recruitment of some kind of hoplites there. Cantabrian Archers have become just Archers, without an AOR. This is partly because I can't think of anything that justifies them being Cantabrian as opposed to anything else. Celtiberian Swordsmen come from the Celtiberian Barracks I added, not the temple as the OP says. Other Celtiberian units may/will be added in due course. Caetrati from the first level of barracks could be a little overpowered, but that's what the next day is for discovering.

Scutarii Lanceari from a Large Town barracks was definitely overpowered. To fix this, I added them only at Minor City level. However, I didn't like the feel of this, and also I didn't like how quickly Scutarii became obsolete with a more powerful version available at Minor City level. This is what lead to adding a new culture. I tried to add a fourth city level to the barbarian culture, but only allow the Iberians to build up to it. This worked for a few hours, albeit with an error when I quit the game. I then added in UIs and some stuff, and the error that I was getting on quit became a CTD on campaign start. So now Iberians are a separate culture, because I'm pretty sure that was the only way to get what I wanted. And besides, it makes editing the settlement plans a little easier (if I ever get my head around how to use them).

ahowl11

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 12:33:19 AM »
Can't wait to try it out :)
Will you release over at TWC? I bet you will get some great feedback.
Also, why not update the OP to include the changes you made? That way people who download know exactly what they are getting :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

comrade_general

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 01:19:10 AM »
separate culture
How was this accomplished?

Sounds pretty sweet though!  8)

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
How was this accomplished?

First, I copied the barbarian entry in descr_cultures, renamed it to Iberian and added an additional settlement level. I then changed Spain's culture from barbarian to Iberian in descr_sm_factions. Then I opened EDB and used find and replace to replace barbarian with barbarian, iberian. That was the quick part done with.

Next I spent about an hour going through export_buildings in the text folder making a culture specific entry for each building the Iberians have. I then copied the barbarian ui folder into my modfolder's ui folder and called it iberian. Then I changed the prefix of all the images in there from barbarian to iberian. that also took a while.

Now I added settlement plans to the Iberians. Basically I added iberian to all the barbarian entries in descr_settlement_plan (and then added an entry for them in the plan sets list near the end of the file, again using the barbarian set). I also copied the barbarian entries in descr_banners and descr_sm_settlements, adding the extra settlement level for Iberians in the latter.

I then added an Iberian entry wherever there was a relevant Barbarian entry in the other files in the text folder (I think the only ones I needed to change were expanded_bi and menu_english) and added an Iberian copy of the barbarian diplomacy messages in diplomacy.txt.

This gave me a working (albeit silent) Iberian culture in addition to the six already in the game. Pretty sure 7 is the hardcoded limit after reading around though...

To make sound like music and speeches appear I added iberian to the entries for barbarian in descr_sounds_music, descr_sounds_stratmap, descr_sounds_units_confirm, export_descr_sounds_prebattle, export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice, export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.

Will you release over at TWC? I bet you will get some great feedback.
Also, why not update the OP to include the changes you made? That way people who download know exactly what they are getting :)

I may do, don't think I've ever posted there before though xD .

And yeah, updating the OP now :) .

comrade_general

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »
Very impressive! Nice work!

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
Well done SotK, your reticence with regards to the phalanx unit can be forgiven. :P
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:30:16 PM by Son of the King »

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 08:25:36 PM »
It's super effective!

Do you mind if I use it for some development of my own? (better placed, do I have your permission to use it in my own project?)
(\__/)

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
Yeah sure, just mention me in the readme or whatever if you release it :) .

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »
It just might take me a while :P I haven't even started, but I plan to do so in a week or two (I have to attend unfinished business with working for TGW at TWC)

And thanks!
(\__/)

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

ahowl11

Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 09:49:45 PM »
Units look great! Definitely think you should join TWC and release there, but that's just me. The more exilian members we have at TWC, the more interest we gain I believe :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
Well, we who are at TWC can always make a thread there for him. It's always a subtle balance between having enough presence there to be visible and at the same time not having so much there that nobody has any reason to come here, I think.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »
Hmmm, good point. Well I would be honored to have the privilege to release it there. Of course with everyone's permission. I would include the link to the thread here at exilian, that way they have to come here to download :)

comrade_general

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:53 PM »
Sadly I can't get the blasted campaign to work. :/

Units look great in battle though! Wish I could go back and include this in my previous releases. ;)

One thing: are the Carthaginian Long Shields supposed to read as "Iberian Heavy Cav"?

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »
Feel free to do that ahowl :) .

You getting an error or just CTD? And nope, is there a limit on unit name length or something?