Author Topic: RPG (OOC)  (Read 21201 times)

comrade_general

Re: RPG (OOC)
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2014, 11:31:31 PM »
Neither of you were rude. I knew I was supposed to do something I just wanted you guys to tell me. :P

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 08:47:21 AM »
You weren't rude colossus, I was saying that I didn't want to be rude, not saying that you were. Sorry for that :/

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:12 AM »
So, Colossus, will you post actions for the stuff that's happening around us or do we have to make things happen ourselves?
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »
Well if I use your name in the story then it's something that you can react to, for now it'll be things that draw the party together as you're still strangers to one another. So it would really be best if you investigate whatever it is when I use your name :P

Ah ok Tom I get you. Good, didn't think I was cg :P

If you want I can PM you some things about RP'ing cg if you've not done this before?

Expunction is a well known practice of the Iron Hand and involves driving a heated iron 'hand' through the chest and piercing the heart. Usually lethal in all single hearted creatures. Which is to say...All of them.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:28:56 PM by Colossus »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »
It's usual for the GM to post what's happening around you in this sort of RPG, so I'd advise avoiding narrating the actions of other characters, and preferably avoid narrating the results of your own actions. From experience, it can get bewildering very, very quickly as a GM if bits you've planned about the world keep suddenly changing on the fly; it also kind of defeats the point of having a stat system if we narrate results of actions.

So things that are good:
"I decide to have a go and swing my axe at the big oak door."
Whereas avoid:
"I swing my axe at the big oak door, and it crumbles into dust" -> the GM should be making a roll for this
"I swing my axe at the big oak door - but then notice it's actually made of beech and has a pickable lock" -> the GM provides that sort of information preferably
"I swing my axe at the big oak door, and a random stranger then turns up and gives me pixie dust" -> Now you're just being silly :P

To take an example from the actual RPG so far, Tom's first post (sorry Tom, yours was just early on in the thread):
I bounce around on the cart as it bucks and sways along the rutted dirt road. As we start to climb the hill I look down at the grey face of my prisoner, his whole body wracked with coughs and pale with sweat. 'He's probably not going to last long,' I think to myself, now turning back to face the village below us. An ants nest of villagers all streaming in one direction, towards the big stone building with a pointy bit out the top. 'That looks a whole lot more interesting than just chopping this pinkies block off' I think to myself, I order the driver of the cart to turn back and go to that big building with the crowd outside it.
As we approach the crowd we slow down to a crawl forwards, so packed together are the pinkies to see the lumpen shape that is on the ground. I jump down from the cart, leaving the puny prisoner alone and shove through the crowd to the front, ignoring the protests of those I push aside like wheat in a field. Now at the front, I wait to see what this monstrosity, that dwarfs even I, could be.
As the man rips the hood off of the figure on the ground I suppress a growl of surprise as it is revealed to be a Minotaur. 'Is it dead?' I ask myself, scouring the body for any signs of life.
Basically 99% of this post works very well (and I should note this is not a criticism, as my early RPGing I'm sure was vastly worse) - the red bit is an example of information that should be GM's decision though, so the post would have worked better without the last sentence. Basically just remember to control your character and not the world around them.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
Thanks Jub I was going to make a post like that in just a minute :P Yeah I did say it was minotaur size instead of an actual minotaur, but I can roll with that anyway :P

I'll try and add in more of the description you mentioned in the third line of 'So things that are good:'. I've also not GM'd before, if there is anything I'm doing wrong please do tell me :)

EDIT: btw I've decided to use mainly a d100 for magic as I like it being more unpredictable than say, a bow. And I rolled 99 on your first spell TTG4 xD
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »
Damn, why was I nice to them?!

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Jub, I saw it was shaped like a minotaur and I guess I got a little carried away. Thanks for your advice, this is my first RPG.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 09:15:06 PM »
CG, you can get Ser Graves to do things like check for weaknesses in your bonds and possibly break them, you were in good shape only about a month or so ago :P

comrade_general

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
Gee Colossus, are you implying something? :P

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »
That your character is a little lazy atm :P

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
I take my last remark back, at least you're wriggling a little bit now :)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2014, 12:06:32 AM »
Colossus, instead of using heaps and heaps of ---------- use the
Code: [Select]
[hr] code.

Like so

EDIT: Hey Colossus, if you ever find the need to do so then you can have my voices talk to me in your GM posts, just make sure they are like the ones I post, only playfully suggesting things and not outright telling me anything and they always talk to me two at a time, sometimes more.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:25:25 AM by The Khan »
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2014, 03:58:12 AM »
Thanks Khan.

No not really cg it just didn't seem like you were enjoying the role, I thought that if I gave you some pointers you might get into the role a bit more..idk :S

comrade_general

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
I just suck at such things. :(