Author Topic: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion  (Read 216991 times)

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion
« Reply #705 on: November 01, 2021, 03:41:36 PM »
Also, a friend of mine's halloween costume this year was based on a custom SoaW paladin skin I made for her, so that was a nice Halloween-SoaW moment too!

Wow. That is awesome.

BTW, I uploaded a new verison for players who want to play the regular game during the Halloween dates. Use the command /hwoff on the character selection screen to activate.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #706 on: November 01, 2021, 04:43:57 PM »
Is there a converse /hwon for turning Halloween on at non-Halloween times of year?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #707 on: November 01, 2021, 09:35:02 PM »
Is there a converse /hwon for turning Halloween on at non-Halloween times of year?

Yes. /hw

I mentioned it earlier:

• start the game
  • go into the hero selection screen
  • press T to open the chat box and enter the following command: /hw

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #708 on: November 01, 2021, 09:48:06 PM »
D'oh, sorry, didn't look back far enough in the thread. My bad!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #709 on: November 02, 2021, 06:40:46 AM »
D'oh, sorry, didn't look back far enough in the thread. My bad!

No need to apologize, it was over a month ago and easy to miss.

ElTicoGringo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #710 on: January 07, 2022, 11:35:58 AM »
Hello all,

First of all, big fan of the game.  My first and only game on Steam with 100% completion on achievements (before the most recent patch).  Thank you for making and then releasing more content!  Shout out to Jubal for help keeping the discussion alive and contributing in so many other ways.

I have two questions:
1) Is there any indication to where the princess is hiding in the carrot achievement?  I thought about maybe saving up bombs to try blowing up the back of each tree… If there isn’t, I guess it’s just purely luck?

2) For the pacifist achievement, you can complete it as long as you (the player(s)) don’t actually kill anything yourselves?  For example, if they run into spiked balls, that’s fine?  I’ve been afraid of trying because there are many environmental or other faction deaths (goblins v spear dudes for example).

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #711 on: January 08, 2022, 02:11:13 PM »
Hi,

1) Is there any indication to where the princess is hiding in the carrot achievement?

If you look really hard, a part of her is visible behind one of the trees. Maybe about 10 pixels total, but you can spot it.

2) For the pacifist achievement, you can complete it as long as you (the player(s)) don’t actually kill anything yourselves?

Yes.

For example, if they run into spiked balls, that’s fine?

Yes. You can also attack enemies (for example, to build up rage). As long as you don't deal a lethal hit, it's fine.

You can check when you pause the game, it should say "Pacifist" under your hero portrait (the first line of text at the very top, before all the other stats).

ElTicoGringo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #712 on: January 09, 2022, 04:34:09 AM »
Thank you so much!  Keep it real, Bigosaur.

Oh, and my little brother wants to know what the inspiration for the spear-thrower’s 180 degree turn and throw move is.  It never fails to hit him, haha.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #713 on: January 09, 2022, 09:19:18 AM »
Thank you so much!  Keep it real, Bigosaur.

Oh, and my little brother wants to know what the inspiration for the spear-thrower’s 180 degree turn and throw move is.  It never fails to hit him, haha.

LOL. It was actually a bug in AI, but when it happened to me the first time, it felt so unique that I decided to leave it in the game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #714 on: April 07, 2022, 08:59:51 PM »
Had my first solo game in a while today, which unfortunately turned out incredibly frustrating, since I did the thing of finding a blood runestone on the battlements, using it, and then realising only on the catacomb level that actually I'd needed to keep hold of that thing the whole time for the hell portal :(

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #715 on: April 07, 2022, 10:19:33 PM »
Had my first solo game in a while today, which unfortunately turned out incredibly frustrating, since I did the thing of finding a blood runestone on the battlements, using it, and then realising only on the catacomb level that actually I'd needed to keep hold of that thing the whole time for the hell portal :(

:-[

Just a reminder that you can use the /hw command to activate the Halloween mode and go to hell directly. Well, if you don't mind slight other changes like the annoying bats.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #716 on: April 07, 2022, 10:32:55 PM »
Out of interest, why did you make it specifically giving a blood runestone rather than just asking the player to take a permanent health-down (which is basically equivalent)?

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #717 on: April 08, 2022, 12:37:03 AM »
Out of interest, why did you make it specifically giving a blood runestone

To make it more challenging. It was inspired by Spelunky's alternative ending of the game where you need to carry an item across levels so you cannot use your hand to hold a weapon. It changes the way the players usually play the game. I wanted the way you play to get to hell to be somewhat different and require more strategy. Of course, SoaW has more inventory space, so I added the king's scepter as well to the mix.

which is basically equivalent

It should be more like health down + one less inventory slot.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #718 on: April 09, 2022, 01:09:45 AM »
That's fair, yes - and for the difficulty it's certainly true that the lost inventory slot is more annoying by far than the lost health.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #719 on: April 17, 2022, 11:49:37 PM »
Well, just did the thing again except this time it was by hitting the wrong button and using the runestone at the point I was meant to apply it to the altar.  :( Which I appreciate is me being a dumbass, but especially when trying to play with friends this kind of stuff keeps happening and it is quite tiresome/frustrating doing all the book-keeping between four people of checking you have the stuff and haven't used it etc.

I guess maybe we'll use halloween mode next time, but it feels like kind of a cheap way of doing it and it's frustrating somehow repeatedly not being able to get it right. It's one of those things that I've usually found OK doing it on my own & focused, but doing it when you're trying to play the game in a more relaxed way with a bunch of people seems to repeatedly end up with some memory hole at a wrong moment on some preceding level.