Author Topic: Get your kicks with Beta 6!  (Read 7377 times)

Quinn_Inuit

• Not a real eskimo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Get your kicks with Beta 6!
« on: August 05, 2016, 03:27:58 AM »
We've made enough changes by now that a patch is probably inappropriate, so there's a new full beta on the download page:  http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=post;msg=107608;topic=4613.0

Major upgrades this time:
I just spent the last two days normalizing every single infantry unit's defense skill.  That should improve gameplay and AI army creation.
Sarmatia is now a Henry rather than a Genghis.  That should get more heavy cavalry on the board from them.
Various map tweaks for better AI pathfinding.
Improved some of the AOR units around the Black Sea.  It's now a little more in line with DBM.
Reorganized some unit skins and types to optimize DMB slot usage.  It's not perfect yet, but I think it's a little better.  This beta is also the first one to feature unit skins by GaivsSejanvs, so a big thanks to him!
We also did some general code cleanup.
Thanks to a suggestion from Gen.JamesWolfe, I also normalized infantry mass and reduced hoplite unit radius.  I don't think the mass is quite where I want it yet, so as you play let me know what you think.  My inclination is to double it across the board while leaving cavalry the same.

--
My writing-related Twitter feed.

The Extended Realism Mod  for Rome-Total War:  come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions.  Or vice versa.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Get your kicks with Beta 6!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 04:43:10 AM »
What skins were done by Gaivs?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Quinn_Inuit

• Not a real eskimo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »
What skins were done by Gaivs?

Several, but due to miscommunications on my part I think we're only using the Cyrenaican Phalanx ATM.  The others weren't quite what we needed.  Check out \ExRM\Data\units\GaivsSejanvs for everything so far.
--

The Extended Realism Mod  for Rome-Total War:  come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions.  Or vice versa.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »
Great, what do you have left on your to-do list?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Quinn_Inuit

• Not a real eskimo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 01:19:13 AM »
Great, what do you have left on your to-do list?

This next release is going to be mostly Sere-directed, though I want to fix the unit mass, too.  I also think I need to cut the cavalry costs by a bit.
--

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this as I haven't visited this part of the forums yet.

Are you guys going to attempt producing your own game or are you strictly a modding group?

You seem to be savvy with the systems and such of TW so I imagine you would have the foundation knowledge required to produce even a very basic game?
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »
The difficulty with moving from modding to game dev is the difference, namely that to develop on your own you need to build an engine which is quite a different set of skills. Also RTW modding often doesn't involve that much in the way of, for example, animating because the animations come with the game more or less.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Quinn_Inuit

• Not a real eskimo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
Aye.  While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm afraid we only do a small fraction of what you'd need to do to create a game from scratch.  The only guy I know who's pulled it off is one of the best modders and AI people out there:  Darth.  If you like the Civil War, check out his game.
http://www.ultimategeneral.com/
--

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 03:38:03 PM »
I've scratch-built little adventure games, but nothing commercial as of yet.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Quinn_Inuit

• Not a real eskimo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 09:48:26 PM »
I've scratch-built little adventure games, but nothing commercial as of yet.

That's cool.  Are they text-based, sprite-based a la JRPGs, Source engine-based a la Dear Esther...?
--

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 09:13:42 PM »
Text-based ones mainly thus far:
LIFE, a Doctor Who fan-game: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4181.0
And the larger but also rather ramshackle Adventures of Soros: http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=125.0

Next year when I'm not studying I might try something more ambitious :)

Quinn_Inuit

• Not a real eskimo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
Cool!  I've been meaning to download Python for awhile, anyway. 
--

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »
Python is good fun, and very easy to build small text adventures etc with :)

Quinn_Inuit

• Not a real eskimo
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 01:04:15 AM »
Python is good fun, and very easy to build small text adventures etc with :)

I can see that.  Why not stick with an old standby like Z-Machine, though?  I used to have a Z-Machine extension for Firefox back in the wild and woolly days of the beta.
--

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
Mostly that neither of my projects are quite pure text-based: both needed some bits of "impure" interface to display some static images etc.