Author Topic: Tales From Windy Meadow - fantasy pixel art Visual Novel  (Read 63131 times)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: Tales From Windy Meadow - fantasy pixel art Visual Novel
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2018, 08:53:02 AM »
Both of these look great, really nice job  :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
Thank you, Tusky! Although, I decided to make a longer comment about our development:

Serious talk time! Nothing to be worried about, just explaining the current situation.

For months we were sharing our concept arts and images, but only recently we started to show you longer videos and GIFs of Tales From Windy Meadow.

Also, trailers are so important in the world of game development, but we still don’t have one! Why is that?

Here is the problem - we’re building the game layer after layer, not scene after scene. It makes showcasing the progress really tedious, even if we finished like 90% of the game's graphics.

The “layers” we already have include: dialogues, interface, backgrounds, character portraits (and their emotions), basic character sprites, a majority of the non-character animations - rain, fire, doors...

The layer we DON’T have yet - and which stops us from recording more in-game videos - is the character animations. Walking from one place to another, or sitting down, or throwing a spear, or just smoking a pipe... There is an example of it shown in the video - it’s the only part that was simple enough to draw that our writer / developer was able to make it mostly by himself.

The current approach is good for the game’s quality... The main thing that suffers is our marketing. : P

So just a few words of comfort: new content is coming. Once we finish more character animations, we’re going to have a lot of things to add to the game and finish a whole bunch of new scenes at once. Trailer and cool screenshots are on their way, we just have to survive this last part of the marathon. ; )

A big thank you to all of you for your support, we appreciate and hope to do our best turning Tales From Windy Meadow into the best Visual Novel we can. 💓

Happy #screenshotsaturday!

Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.
Tales From Windy Meadow - my fantasy pixel art Visual Novel.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »
Can you help us decide how "dimmed" should a non-speaking character be?
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.

comrade_general

« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
Medium.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »
I suspect medium too, though I'd be interested to see what that looks like when switching between them as a conversation unfolds before I could be really sure.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2018, 02:14:35 PM »
I see, thank you! Twitter says "dark", I think I'll focus my tests on these two alterations.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
We would appreciate even harsh criticism. ^^ Happy to finally reach this point of development!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »
Just watched through the video on fullscreen - now I look at it in big, it definitely needs more contrast between the characters.

Also, it felt weird to be constantly looking over to the left to see who was speaking, and not to have an indicator of that from something more central where the text I actually wanted to read was. Different coloured text for the different characters in the discussion or some kind of central visual indicator would mean people's eyes moving around less and make the conversation much easier to follow, I think.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Thank you! I keep thinking about adding borders to every portrait to make them look more like an overlay, though I need to test it. I will possibly use it for the next ScreenshotSaturday.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »
Look forward to seeing it :)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2018, 07:06:15 PM »
Also, it felt weird to be constantly looking over to the left to see who was speaking, and not to have an indicator of that from something more central where the text I actually wanted to read was. Different coloured text for the different characters in the discussion or some kind of central visual indicator would mean people's eyes moving around less and make the conversation much easier to follow, I think.

I agree, those things would be a good indication. I suppose often when there is dialogue there, games often put it in a speech bubble, and you can easily spot who is talking that way because it points at someone. Won't work for where you have it on that UI though but maybe a tailored version of that may work?

Looking really nice though :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
I wonder if there's any way you could sensibly rejig the UI to move the names side to side as well, which would make eye movement a bit more natural...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
Would you agree that the new portrait outlines and a easier-to-read font size make a difference? : ) If it's not enough, I do intend to experiment some more, maybe including, for example, this "swapping sides namebox" that you mentioned before.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
It does make a lot of difference, yes - I think that I'm now not really looking at the name text, that said, but I can certainly keep track of who's speaking better with this system. Whether it's worth considering moving the name somehow may depend how important it is for players to remember everyone's names/how often people's names get brought up in dialogue anyway.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
Whenever a character is mentioned in the middle of the conversation, player can point at the name to see their short bio. So I would say that remembering every name is not crucial.

Thank you for the fast feedback. : )