Author Topic: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim  (Read 73937 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2019, 11:22:36 PM »
Well, you have character traits for the knights, right? I was wondering if it could be fun for the surgeon to start talking about them using humor theory... That is, the idea that the body has four basic fluids, and your temperament depends on the balance of them - too much blood and you become too sanguine, that is too lively/too much of a risk taker, too much yellow bile and you become choleric, that is aggressive and angry, too much black bile and you become melancholic, so emotional and depressive, and too much phlegm and you become phlegmatic, so lethargic and listless. You let particular fluids out to correct imbalances of temperament for this reason. I guess I think of that as the archetypal medieval medicine thing and it has some fun potential, it might not fit here but it just sprang to my mind.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2019, 10:31:34 PM »
Well, you have character traits for the knights, right?

Sort of, yeah. They are quite simplistic & specific ones at the moment. For example: doesn't like loud noises.

I'd love to incorporate your idea somehow, would add some good depth and realism. Maybe some sort of "mood wheel" that instead of the expected moods, has sanguine / choleric etc on it... then it can get centered by the medical professionals - and they lance the appropriate bodily goo.

Will give it a think :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »
Jester

Since the last update I designed, modelled, rigged and textured the new member of staff: the Jester, then imported them into the game and implemented some mechanics. It took a while since the buildings and members of staff are the key things you can interact with as a player, and that is generally how you affect the knights and visitors.

Knight statue

First of many decorations: a granite knight statue to sternly peer down at everyone

Visual feedback for thoughts

Until now, when a happiness flag (like being hungry, for example) was applied it was not immediately visible; just hidden away on a menu. Now that has been changed so a flag will appear over the head of a person so it's very obvious. Also in certain circumstances the person will react to something that has happened. For example the new jester abilities will make a visitor applaud or get upset. Here's a GIF showing this in action:

Next

I don't think I'm going to target any main features in the next few weeks, so a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

• Menus, menus, UI, icons, menus and more UI
  • Catching up on fixing a sprinkling of new bugs
  • Groundwork for the potions system
<< Signature redacted >>

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2019, 10:10:59 AM »
Good work! :D

Also, I love your modelling style.
Reminds me of Roller-coaster tycoon mixed with early medieval paintings.

Here are some other possible ideas:
- you could introduce a new "cleanliness" factor with something like outhouses, rat catchers, horse dung and dung farmers
- log-tossing and other peasant games that would serve as another source of income
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:51:15 AM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
Good work! :D

Also, I love your modelling style.
Reminds me of Roller-coaster tycoon mixed with early medieval paintings.
Thank you!

Here are some other possible ideas:
- you could introduce a new "cleanliness" factor with something like outhouses, rat catchers, horse dung and dung farmers
- log-tossing and other peasant games that would serve as another source of income

Nice ideas! I did already have plans for one of those. I'll be adding in outhouses, and certain knights will be sticklers for cleanliness. They aren't finished just yet thought - currently all of the visitors have an unfulfillable need to toilet.
<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
Wow, it's been over a month since the last update!

I don't think I'm going to target any main features in the next few weeks, so a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

I lied, I did do some stuff:

Blacksmith

A new model for the backsmith has been created! Eventually it'll be where you can buy upgrades for your knights armour and sword.

Filth Collector

He shuffles around gloomily, picking up junk from the floor that your visitors carelessly drop. He also comes with the fun ability to throw mud at people.

I definitely drew inspiration from pop culture for this one:

Dull task I completed that I feel like sharing

I also spent absolutely ages (2 weeks) coming up with a robust way to prevent buildings being blocked in. not especially fun, but had to be done.

Next

Implementation of potions & potions purchase system
Blacksmith purchase system

<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
Can the collector throw mud at the knights? Possibly with a cry of "well I didn't vote for you!" ? :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2019, 12:27:09 PM »
Hahaha, yeah you will be able to throw mud at anyone other than staff (Some knights will especially hate it, too)

The knights are definitely gonna have to respond with that!  ;D

<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »
Happy December, one and all!

Here's the December* update!  A few medieval bits and bobs have been rolling off the production line since last time...

NEW STUFF! Equipment menu!

Here's a neat little menu where you can purchase armour and weapons from the carpenter and blacksmith outlets. Along with this was the creation of a few simple items for the player to purchase.

NEW STUFF! Carpenter outlet! A lantern decoration!

NEW STUFF! Potions!

I also finished the potions menu, so the player can go in and buy tincures, lotions and potions that have assorted effects for their knights. Visiting party knights also have a chance that they will select and use a potion before a joust run.

Next up:

• I started work on a shop keeper character who will man the outlets. That means the knights or visitors get served by a person, rather than using the outlet like some sort of vending machine
  • An outhouse

* I note that my last proper update here was 6 weeks ago, and on my website longer ago than that! Things have been a little slow lately what with festive admin, and writing a D&D one shot. I think I'll nominally maintain at least monthly updates.

<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
That all looks neat, I like your UI design :) (That's Vinque you're using right for the font right?)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
That all looks neat, I like your UI design :) (That's Vinque you're using right for the font right?)

Thanks! I do use Vinque for the "heading" style bits, for normal text I use a font called Cardo regular   

Well, time for the first update of the year, and of the decade! So to kick things off... what new stuff is there?

Toilet

Not especially glamorous, but a toilet has been created so that visitors can satisfy that particular need. Here is it at the end of a rather grand avenue...

Vendors in the outlets

All of the outlets now has somone manning them, so they are not like vending machines any longer.
For the surgeon I followed the advice of Jubal a little. A knight getting healed involves some medieval style blood letting. Below is a GIF of what it does, I put it in a spoiler since there is a teeny bit of a simulated blood splat. Not terribly offensive but some might consider it a bit PG13

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A Shrubbery!

Script

I have completed writing a script for the "campaign". It's a good thing to have completed because it means I have confirmed the characters, story and objectives. It lead to a few gameplay adjustments, for example before there were 2 types of accommodation tent: "guest" ones and "house" ones. But instead the house ones are built for you - which hopefully makes things a little less complicated. Anyway I'll work on it a while longer, make sure it's sufficiently humerous and written as well as I can get it!

Next:

• Player to "playing" the joust. Which involves being able specify what their knight does in it: picking potions, a tactic etc - and seeing some detail on how it's all resolved
  • Horse and cart to drop people off. At the moment it's just a white cube
  • Since I've had a fair bit of practice with my graphics tablet doing 2d characters, I'm going to have a bash at one of the story peeps.
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2020, 05:55:28 PM »
I forgot to say - I am happy that the shrubbery is there. Will some of the knights by any chance demand that there is a shrubbery before they arrive, or some mechanic similar? :)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
Oo, nice idea. Unfortunately it exists only as a reference at the moment. I'm getting concerned the game might be a bit too complicated as it is!  So would like to wait for some playtesting in "the wild" before I go adding more mechanics.

I will make a list of decent ideas like these that I can add in, though. Thanks.

<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
I guess it's something you could build quite a nice easter egg around if it'd be too complex to add as a game mechanic proper.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
That would be a nice easter egg. it's on the list anyway.

<< Signature redacted >>