Author Topic: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim  (Read 6713 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »
Lovely! I really like how the look of it is shaping up :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

beebug_nic

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Fringe Planet
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2019, 05:15:46 PM »
Loving the updates, I try and keep up with as much as I can on twitter, but it seems I've missed a lot of very hard work. I'm really loving how this is coming together and the UI improvements look awesome!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2019, 11:27:09 PM »
UI is the great unsung part of gamedev really - it takes so much of the time and is so so vital, but it also feels frustratingly small when you show it to people somehow compared to "here's a new unit!" or "here's a new quest!"
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2019, 08:52:29 AM »
Lovely! I really like how the look of it is shaping up :)
Loving the updates, I try and keep up with as much as I can on twitter, but it seems I've missed a lot of very hard work.  I'm really loving how this is coming together and the UI improvements look awesome!

Thanks both!

UI is the great unsung part of gamedev really - it takes so much of the time and is so so vital, but it also feels frustratingly small when you show it to people somehow compared to "here's a new unit!" or "here's a new quest!"

Yeah I know 100% what you guys mean. Each one of those graphics  took something like 12 to 15 hours to make (and that is discounting previous incarnations). You're right, nobody really cares that much about UI  - well except maybe other devs or UI artists!

That's why I'll normally try to put something else in an update as well so there might be at least something of interest to the lay-reader. Because I think that to some extent it's tough to post something that will be of interest to anyone at all, since it concerns something that does not exist yet.
For example the last game I had received very little interest as I was making it. Certainly whatever I made a post somewhere it seemed to broadly fall on deaf ears, UI based or otherwise. I was obviously far more excited about it than anyone else  ;D

As such It's very encouraging to hear your feedback. I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:30:37 AM by Tusky »
Select AppleDanish From Pantry Where Count(MyDeliciousThings) < 1

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2019, 05:29:36 AM »
It's been a bit of a slow couple of months for me, since I'm currently doing some training courses in Cyprus till the end of June. Hopefully next month once I've finished with the courses I will be able to spend a bit more time on the game.

I have been chipping away, though, and progress has been made. I completed the items I wanted to from the last post: Add a way to start the tournament phase, and add objectives to complete during the tournament phase. There is a basic objective system in place, so you can now play through level 1 and win or lose!

I made some menus for knights and visitors now so you can click them and see some basic info about them. I need to spend a lot of time creating all the various icons that are needed before the menus are fully finished.

I've made a fun system for scheduling a joust, where you can mess around with the order of who knights are fighting against, before it starts. It means the player can give their house knights a more favourable path to the final if they want to.

The game phase now represents a day, and the lighting will slowly adjust accordingly.

Next

I am going to create a summary window for a joust event, so that you can see what factored in to the result. There are 4 main contributing factors: potions, mood, skill, and tactics (equipment is also sort of another one - but that mostly concerns damage output / mitigation). Once this is information available to the player then I can add in gameplay for the four methods so the player can influence them.

Select AppleDanish From Pantry Where Count(MyDeliciousThings) < 1

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:08 AM »
I really like the day/knight cycles :P

And the tents look really pretty too!