Author Topic: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim  (Read 9860 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2019, 11:22:36 PM »
Well, you have character traits for the knights, right? I was wondering if it could be fun for the surgeon to start talking about them using humor theory... That is, the idea that the body has four basic fluids, and your temperament depends on the balance of them - too much blood and you become too sanguine, that is too lively/too much of a risk taker, too much yellow bile and you become choleric, that is aggressive and angry, too much black bile and you become melancholic, so emotional and depressive, and too much phlegm and you become phlegmatic, so lethargic and listless. You let particular fluids out to correct imbalances of temperament for this reason. I guess I think of that as the archetypal medieval medicine thing and it has some fun potential, it might not fit here but it just sprang to my mind.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2019, 10:31:34 PM »
Well, you have character traits for the knights, right?

Sort of, yeah. They are quite simplistic & specific ones at the moment. For example: doesn't like loud noises.

I'd love to incorporate your idea somehow, would add some good depth and realism. Maybe some sort of "mood wheel" that instead of the expected moods, has sanguine / choleric etc on it... then it can get centered by the medical professionals - and they lance the appropriate bodily goo.

Will give it a think :)
Select AppleDanish From Pantry Where Count(MyDeliciousThings) < 1

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »
Jester

Since the last update I designed, modelled, rigged and textured the new member of staff: the Jester, then imported them into the game and implemented some mechanics. It took a while since the buildings and members of staff are the key things you can interact with as a player, and that is generally how you affect the knights and visitors.

Knight statue

First of many decorations: a granite knight statue to sternly peer down at everyone

Visual feedback for thoughts

Until now, when a happiness flag (like being hungry, for example) was applied it was not immediately visible; just hidden away on a menu. Now that has been changed so a flag will appear over the head of a person so it's very obvious. Also in certain circumstances the person will react to something that has happened. For example the new jester abilities will make a visitor applaud or get upset. Here's a GIF showing this in action:

Next

I don't think I'm going to target any main features in the next few weeks, so a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

• Menus, menus, UI, icons, menus and more UI
  • Catching up on fixing a sprinkling of new bugs
  • Groundwork for the potions system

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2019, 10:10:59 AM »
Good work! :D

Also, I love your modelling style.
Reminds me of Roller-coaster tycoon mixed with early medieval paintings.

Here are some other possible ideas:
- you could introduce a new "cleanliness" factor with something like outhouses, rat catchers, horse dung and dung farmers
- log-tossing and other peasant games that would serve as another source of income
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:51:15 AM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
Good work! :D

Also, I love your modelling style.
Reminds me of Roller-coaster tycoon mixed with early medieval paintings.
Thank you!

Here are some other possible ideas:
- you could introduce a new "cleanliness" factor with something like outhouses, rat catchers, horse dung and dung farmers
- log-tossing and other peasant games that would serve as another source of income

Nice ideas! I did already have plans for one of those. I'll be adding in outhouses, and certain knights will be sticklers for cleanliness. They aren't finished just yet thought - currently all of the visitors have an unfulfillable need to toilet.

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
Wow, it's been over a month since the last update!

I don't think I'm going to target any main features in the next few weeks, so a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

I lied, I did do some stuff:

Blacksmith

A new model for the backsmith has been created! Eventually it'll be where you can buy upgrades for your knights armour and sword.

Filth Collector

He shuffles around gloomily, picking up junk from the floor that your visitors carelessly drop. He also comes with the fun ability to throw mud at people.

I definitely drew inspiration from pop culture for this one:

Dull task I completed that I feel like sharing

I also spent absolutely ages (2 weeks) coming up with a robust way to prevent buildings being blocked in. not especially fun, but had to be done.

Next

Implementation of potions & potions purchase system
Blacksmith purchase system

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
Can the collector throw mud at the knights? Possibly with a cry of "well I didn't vote for you!" ? :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2019, 12:27:09 PM »
Hahaha, yeah you will be able to throw mud at anyone other than staff (Some knights will especially hate it, too)

The knights are definitely gonna have to respond with that!  ;D