Author Topic: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim  (Read 73931 times)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »
Congrats mate, already wishlisted! :D

Yay! Thank you :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: June 26, 2021, 12:51:50 PM »
I've been mostly working on the last level - so only a few bits to report on for this month...

Gulansharo buildings

The scenery models for Gulansharo are nearly done. The main text I could find for research mentioning the city of flowers was in "The Knight in the Panther's Skin" which describes a very enviable place with "many-hued flowers" and general loveliness. Here is my stab at the garden heavy docks area that the hero would have arrived at:

The other sides are a little more city-like with some byzantine inspired buildings, although I haven't yet finished those.

New track for Atlantis

The remaining music for the game has been completed. Jeremie, the composer, made a video of one track for Atlantis!

He shared it on social media - so not easy for me to embed here... But here is the link so you can check it out: https://twitter.com/JeremieFriez/status/1401268074846769152

Final decorations

I have finished all of the main buildable structures now. The final ones were some decorations which are now added to the game! Here they all are together:

Testing

Jubal and I had a productive evening doing some testing. There are definitely issues and glitches remaining! So I've also been busy getting rid of as many of those as I can.

Next

• Finish Gulansharo
  • A couple of models for the last level of the main campaign, notably the king
  • An options menu
<< Signature redacted >>

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2021, 04:15:21 PM »
Glad to see an update. Things are shaping up nicely.

Now regarding the decorations, I have a small suggestion, which is purely a matter of stylistic preference.
IMO right now the decorations look a bit too clean near the base which makes them appear a bit floaty.
A very narrow semi-transparent grime decal surrounding the bases could make them appear a bit more natural perhaps?
Not that there's anything wrong with them right now, just wondering if this could make things stand out a bit more.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2021, 08:42:07 PM »
Glad to see an update. Things are shaping up nicely.

Now regarding the decorations, I have a small suggestion, which is purely a matter of stylistic preference.
IMO right now the decorations look a bit too clean near the base which makes them appear a bit floaty.
A very narrow semi-transparent grime decal surrounding the bases could make them appear a bit more natural perhaps?
Not that there's anything wrong with them right now, just wondering if this could make things stand out a bit more.

oops! This update seems to have completely passed me by!

You are completely right about the bases. In actual fact I have added decals like that on a number of the buildings... but not these ones! Thanks for reminding me I'll have to get those added in  ;D
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2021, 11:41:49 AM »
I do really like the Gulansharene buildings :) Looking forward to having another version of the game to test sometime!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
I do really like the Gulansharene buildings :) Looking forward to having another version of the game to test sometime!

Thanks!

The last level is due for completion in about a month... It would be good to have a testing session some time then :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2021, 08:33:00 PM »
That'd be great :) Hopefully sometime soon my life will stop being an ongoing avalanche of catastrophes enough to actually sort out some work on my own game...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2021, 09:15:56 AM »
That'd be great :) Hopefully sometime soon my life will stop being an ongoing avalanche of catastrophes enough to actually sort out some work on my own game...

Yeah, I hope things start to improve! Sounds like a lot to deal with
<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2021, 09:24:08 AM »
August update time!

Alpha

The main news is that the game is in alpha! I have completed development on all of the missions for the final level, and added in the concluding story and end credits screens. That means at last the whole main campaign can be played from beginning to end.

King

Part of the above work to complete the last level is a new character model for the king. The king previously only spoke to the player in story cutscenes. His arrival in the game meant I had to create this 3d model based entirely on the artwork from the illustrator. I think it came out pretty well!

UI & Settings

The other fairly large bit of work I did last month is to completely re-do the UI. A lot of the menus were sort of placeholders - and I had not really confirmed in my mind what I was doing with them. So I finally spent some time improving all of the menus, and and getting the UI consistent. Here's a knight levelling up menu:

Levelling Up

That brings me on to the other big development. An xp overhaul. This is the third, and final, (and best!) iteration of the player knight advancement systems I've tried. The first one involved attempting to earn esoteric achievements which could be converted to titles. Then I tried making it linked with the construction of training dummies - but neither felt very good.

With this last incarnation - I have gone with a more straightforward & well understood xp and level up system, where your knights earn xp (mostly from participating in events), when they get enough they go up a level. I've done away with calling it “training” altogether. It only seemed to cause confusion.
As you can see from the menu above levelling up allows the player to choose skills, rewards and unlocks, and so there is some control over progression. I think it’s much more engaging and I’m a lot happier with it!
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2021, 12:40:49 PM »
I do like the king model :) His arms are quite tiny, but I think the head is really very nicely done and is the real focal point for the model in any case.

Looking forward to having another crack at this sometime!

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »
Looking forward to having another crack at this sometime!

That was a fun testing session! Think I've sorted all of the points that came out of it...

Forgot to mention here, the release is in less than 2 weeks!! (4th of Nov!). As such - not much to report on the dev front - I've mostly just been trying to make things as clear as possible and squashing any bugs.
<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2021, 05:01:21 PM »
I am happy to announce that after 4 years in development - Tourney has at last been released on Steam!

That’s right… it’s shipped! (badum tish)

It’s been quite a journey. I wanted to say thanks to everyone here for the various support over the years, with advice, ideas etc. It’s really shaped how the game came out and I’m very grateful! I put a special thanks in the credits!

If anyone plays I hope you enjoy it!
<< Signature redacted >>

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2021, 09:44:52 PM »
Congratulations on the release!

I hope it's going as well as you expected?

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2021, 09:54:23 PM »
Thanks very much!  ;D

Yeah the release has gone (/is going?) as well as I'd hoped. People seem to enjoy it which is the main thing I was hoing for!

The few days after release were absolute bedlam with the amount I needed to do! But it's starting to calm down a bit now though. hopefully at some point I can stop fire fighting and do a new feature or 2 :)

<< Signature redacted >>

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2021, 09:18:58 AM »
I've been having a blast with it over the past couple days! Massive congrats mate :D

Bedivere is a knightmare of a guy, skilled in lances but is scared of his horse lmao

I've played as Pendragon, El Sid and Wallace.

I would heartily recommend Wallace to any beginners! For anyone unaware, their buff makes management a lot easier by negating weather conditions as a factor for negatively impacting peoples mood.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 04:49:49 PM by Clockwork »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.