Author Topic: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story  (Read 81422 times)

pixeldungeonadventure

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2018, 02:21:50 AM »
Lol, the cow...
Nice touch.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2018, 03:37:47 PM »
11. In Charge

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:50:49 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2018, 07:23:34 PM »
Very nice scene composition there. I like it when regular dialog boxes get broken a little bit with a different perspective.

Also, I'm very curious to see how the story develops now...

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »
Very much liking that last line (for no reason whatsoever)...  :harp:
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2018, 10:49:53 PM »
Yeah, every new comic I'm having to create a few extra arms/legs/postures, the back views of Botso and Rusudan appear here for the first time, as do the running postures, not to mention the four sprites you can see in small in the perspective shot (which we're going to be zooming in on shortly!). I'm glad the perspective worked! I feel like my mountain valleys don't look quite right, they're under-foliated and the mountains are too small and separate, but I'm working on them and hopefully they'll improve with time :) I feel like the running postures look awkward too but I can't quite put my finger on why...

And yes, dunno when I'm next going to have the hours for another strip but I'm looking forward to the next few scenes myself :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
I feel like my mountain valleys don't look quite right, they're under-foliated and the mountains are too small and separate

It's ok. Those are backgrounds anyway. Nobody is paying much attention.

I feel like the running postures look awkward too but I can't quite put my finger on why...

Seems like you got arms and leg positions mixed up. According to the leg position of Botso, his left arm should be back, behind the body, in that pose. And you could move his right arm a little bit forward.

Varam looks alright, although I'm not sure how natural is to run with a shield and your axe above the head. I would expect someone with an axe to keep it down while running and raise it only when they approach the enemy.

The best way to make this work is to find some reference animation of running and go frame-by-frame until you get the pose you want to show. You can do this easily with YouTube, just keep pressing dot (.) key on the keyboard when the video is paused and you can see every frame.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »
I feel like my mountain valleys don't look quite right, they're under-foliated and the mountains are too small and separate
I wouldn't worry. Your human figures are evidently and deliberately stylised, so I don't think readers will expect the background to be especially realistic.

Meanwhile, it's only just registered with me that Varam is left-handed, i.e. weapon in his left hand, shield on his right arm. Similarly either K'akha or Sargis in Episode 6. Was this common in medieval Georgia?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2018, 02:19:15 PM »
No, as far as I know Georgians have the same handedness ratio as anyone else. The person in Ep 6 I honestly hadn't really been thinking about, it was just a coincidence of flipping the facing of the character a particular way (which is done by mirroring) - I only started thinking about handedness in more recent strips really. Varam is however canonically left-handed (a decision I made as of the most recent two strips).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2018, 12:49:48 PM »
12. Now You See Me

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:57:15 AM by Jubal »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »
13. It's Half The Battle

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:22:36 PM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »
This is getting more interesting with every new strip.  :) Can't wait to see how the story unfolds...

Ierne

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
I finally activated my account! so now I can comment on how utterly brilliant this comic is. this is just ridiculously creative :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
Thanks guys :) I wonder what people think will happen next - I find it hard to know how predictable my own plots are...

I'm also wondering about comic length - I've ended up with a five row format which is quite a lot of comic per page (OOTS has about ten panels per page, I have more like thirteen or fourteen). I'm trying to work out a) if it matters if I switch between four and five row comics (that is, does it feel odd if sometimes pages switch to more/fewer panels), and b) if the five row format feels too long per update at all, both for me and for the reader. I worry that four doesn't give me enough time to say stuff, but five is a bit of a grind to make. Thoughts welcome!

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:27 PM »
Thanks guys :) I wonder what people think will happen next - I find it hard to know how predictable my own plots are...

I'm also wondering about comic length - I've ended up with a five row format which is quite a lot of comic per page (OOTS has about ten panels per page, I have more like thirteen or fourteen). I'm trying to work out a) if it matters if I switch between four and five row comics (that is, does it feel odd if sometimes pages switch to more/fewer panels), and b) if the five row format feels too long per update at all, both for me and for the reader. I worry that four doesn't give me enough time to say stuff, but five is a bit of a grind to make. Thoughts welcome!

I'm always reading OOTS in batches because not much can happen on a single page. I vote for 5-row comics.

justatoady

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »
these are very fun^^
i like how 'uncomplicated' is still very clearly varam's character (maybe with a bit of bloodthirsty thrown in)
the serious expressions on the stick figures when fighting happens are very funny to me, and I'm not entirely sure why

as for what could happen next,
i feel like with the "bandits" actually being guards, it looks like the spy lady did something very bad to that temple, and might be a bit sinister,
i guess one way to go would be to have her look like a serious threat but then get on really well with rusudan, what with the latter's own tendency to be a bit scheming...