Author Topic: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]  (Read 62179 times)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
Re: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2022, 05:06:01 AM »
Thank you, Jubal! The sales have been good, but I learned people are finding typos in the game and now I'm DYING. : P
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.
Tales From Windy Meadow - my fantasy pixel art Visual Novel.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2022, 09:16:10 AM »
Well, inevitable in games with lots of text - and at least not too headachey to bugfix!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2022, 09:26:33 AM »
<< Signature redacted >>

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2022, 09:58:16 AM »
Thank you, Tusky, I appreciate it!

Well, inevitable in games with lots of text

Correct, it's just that my ego is fragile. : P
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2022, 11:09:20 AM »
Well, after that Eurogamer piece, hopefully the ego is pretty deservedly stoked :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2022, 12:32:41 PM »
It's looking pretty good!

Good luck  :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2022, 06:09:05 PM »
Thank you!
The things are calming down now, I can prepare a new patch tomorrow and rest for a bit. : )

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2022, 02:27:51 PM »
I did a full playthrough on normal mode on Friday. Kudos, it's a really brilliant game. Hugely enjoyed it, the dialogues were good, the pacing was excellent for things being largely brought to a head in the last 10 days of the playthrough, and the balancing challenge of keeping everything together was really interesting.

I'm not sure I did super well at it - died a few times and my endings felt rather mixed, but that's probably normal for a first run. I decided to try and help people which I had some limited success at on a personal level, but did pretty horribly at the big-picture stuff. I was generally poor through the whole game, there were definitely some BIG inefficiencies or things I realised too late to reverse.

The worst of these was the thing at Creeks where you get them to clear the tree and it says need to know the roads and get there before midday, it really wasn't clear how to do this, I eventually triggered it somehow but I had several occasions where I basically wasted a day by trying a different combination of resting place and moves only for it to fail again. Is it that it needs every other eastern road sidequest to be completed? Because I'd assumed from the text that it just needed me to have recently walked all the paths from the tree to creeks, which clearly didn't work.

Regarding my choices and endings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I did have one persistent actual bug, which was that bits of game text and labels kept doing this:

Generally unloading and reloading a page or text section, or sometimes rolling over bits of text, would fix it, but it did keep happening seemingly randomly and was rather annoying.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2022, 03:09:25 PM »
I'm sorry about the visual bugs, Jubal. Do you by any chance have a GSync screen? I've heard they tend to cause issues, but there are ways to fix them. I never saw a report like the one you shared.

I'm not sure I did super well at it
That's only for you to decide. ^^

you get them to clear the tree and it says need to know the roads and get there before midday, it really wasn't clear how to do this
That's a very interesting point, thank you. I'll write this down, maybe I could phrase it more clearly - the idea was you need to do more things for Elah regarding this specific quest, or maybe help him through the mundane work available once it's available. I'll write down I should reexamine this.

Thank you for describing your experience. I think it was a big ask of me to offer people a game that involves so many "fail states", but I believe it's an unusual experience,  and adds to the game's themes.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2022, 03:30:38 PM »
Yes, it's the sort of game where the line between "you screwed up" and "was it actually possible to do this right" is sometimes tantalisingly unclear. And part of me likes that and part of it grates on me, but I think you're right, it's important to the game being what it is and it does make some of the points and parts of the game more powerful. It might have been nice to have a bit more emphasis on the small and personal bits in the ending readout in places, I guess: it sort of feels a bit sad that you can't get your character to retain any connections to some of the people you risked life and limb with.

I guess one of my struggles with these things is that I'm too much of a real-life problem solver who's bad at knowing my own limits, and I struggle to turn my moral compass off or down at all in games: so even when it's fictional characters, I find the sense of responsibility weighs on me and I get easily frustrated by my own limitations when it comes to helping people. But that's just a me problem. :)

Regarding the graphical bug, the readout I get when I looke at my NVidia settings is:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
Driver 472.19
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60 GHz
7.84GB RAM
1920x1080, 60Hz

Regarding your spoilered question:

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2022, 07:23:31 PM »

I don't know much about hardware, but maybe this thread could help you? https://steamcommunity.com/app/1155970/discussions/0/5179725348508845297/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2023, 12:05:04 AM »
Not sure I mentioned here previously, but Vicorva, indie author and general good sparkly being of this parish, has for a while been doing streams of Roadwarden at the moment on Wednesday (2pm UK time), which are very enjoyable. Their channel is twitch.tv/vicorva.  :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2023, 05:42:57 AM »
Cheers! It's surprising to me how many people streamed or made YouTube videos out of this game, especially since so often people decide to read out loud everything that's on the screen. I'm not a streamer, but to me it sounds like a torture for my throat.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2023, 10:57:57 AM »
I'm sure it's not always easy! But I think it's also why it works really well for some people - V is a really talented narrator and having a game with a lot of well written text depth makes best use of that skill set :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2023, 11:34:17 AM »
Thank you for saying so! Personally, I'm not a big fan of voice acting and narration. I'm now playing Disco Elysium (for the first time : O) and I turned off the new voice overlay after about half an hour. It just slows me down to much, and impacts my imagination in ways I don't enjoy.