Author Topic: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]  (Read 62159 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2023, 12:00:28 PM »
For me it varies: I wouldn't have wanted my first (or indeed any actual) playthrough of Roadwarden to have narration, but listening to a good narrator stream bits of it for 90 mins on a Wednesday is nice background and a nice reminder of the world, it's just a different experience to actually playing the game. In general narration in games I feel slows things down when I'm playing, but voice acting I often like if it's done well and is keyed to specific characters well. It can be important for, say, a Witcher or Dragon Age game where the world is meant to be high visual/auditory detail and character personalities and drama in the immediate circle around the player are quite key to what's going on.

I've not played Disco Elysium either! It looks interesting but I dunno how much I'd really enjoy it.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2023, 12:43:48 PM »
Is there anything specific that stops you from testing DE?
From what I can tell it may be many things for many different people. Personally, I find a lot of worldbuilding descriptions very unengaging, so there are bits I simply skim over them or even jump through them, but there's a lot that I really enjoy.

While playing Witcher games or Dragon Age without voice acting would be kind of pointless, since the writing itself was built around its voice lines, I usually feel like such games tend to have much weaker writing as well. Games that are allowed to have narration, or text-oriented dialogues, tend to (in my head, at least) flow much smoother.
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.
Tales From Windy Meadow - my fantasy pixel art Visual Novel.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2023, 01:24:34 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that those games have weaker writing for my taste, though I'd agree that it's harder to make voice-acted dialogues work well. I think some games (Witcher 3 most notably, also Hades) manage it really well overall, and things like Dragon Age use it to land some pretty good cutscenes and set-pieces even if their run of the mill storytelling isn't always presented to full effect. I guess probably my top tier of games if I only consider how effective I find the narrative is a mix though one that leans more towards mostly-written narratives: Hades, Wildermyth, Roadwarden, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Fallen London, DA: Origins, Witcher 3, and maybe Planescape: Torment would be my immediate thoughts for such a list.

I think with DE... partly not getting round to it and other things being higher up my list, partly that I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the themes and style of the game all that much, the pitch of amnesiac fantasy communist cop drama is one that interests me but doesn't compel me. I worry with games that lean hard into ideological positioning that I'll get frustrated with them routing me down what I feel are false choices to fit into their faction/ideology list, too, which is a massive frustration to me in games. I think maybe it's also been almost too hyped for me, it's the sort of game where I've heard a ton of "oh, great game, made by geniuses" type talk but I've not heard many specifics that pushed me towards it. But I'll probably get round to it sometime.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2023, 04:24:39 AM »
I'd say that nothing about DE's premise is inherently interesting for me, but it lures me in with its tools of expression and its deep layers of humanism. Like I said, I'm not devoutly interested in everything it has to offer, but so far I'd say there isn't a moment where I feel it was overhyped  for me.
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2023, 09:08:05 AM »
Fair enough - a recommendation from you probably shifts it a place or two upwards on the "To Play" list :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »
Hah! One thing I can say is that while the game gets better with hours put into it (you understand the world more, you get the grip of the systems), you should be able to decide if you enjoy it in the first 90 minutes or so, so quickly enough to refund it. : P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2023, 02:58:53 PM »
I really need to start a Roadwarden wiki at some point, some of the late-game stuff is tricky: on V's run we're really struggling to work out how on earth one gains enough trust from Thyrsus. Even after dealing with Glaucia his trust still seems locked and it's not at all obvious why.

I saw somewhere online you were saying that nicer meals can boost his favour - can you effectively grind that upwards given enough time?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 03:14:04 PM by Jubal »

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2023, 03:28:19 PM »
I'm sorry you hit a roadblock. Yes, you can buy his friendship by offering him food rations or even better meals, I expect you probably selected dialogue options he was not especially happy with. : P I actually think Thyrsus could use at least one small quest, I hope to fix it in the future.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2023, 03:50:44 PM »
OK, that's great - V is playing on no-time-limits so that's very do-able, I'll recommend that they do an offscreen fish supplies grind between streams until the options light up :)

And yeah, I feel like White Marshes in general is one of the hardest places to work out/easiest places for it not to be clear how to progress in Roadwarden, I failed on it horribly in my main run a few months ago. It's such an interesting location, I'd love to have a little bit more there.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2023, 04:15:46 PM »
Thank you for spreading the news about my work!
I wonder if the reason why it's so difficult to get to Orentius is somehow connected to the fact is much easier to join forces with Thais and get to him this way... : )

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2023, 04:45:33 PM »
I think that's one of the other things, actually, that has possibly been tricky with V's run: if you bypass Thais early, then discover the problems with her (which is exactly what happened), and thus effectively fail to work much through the core Howler's questline, she sort of half-gates a bunch of other stuff. I guess some players tend to have a reaction of "I now know this person is bad so I don't want to help them" when Roadwarden sort of expects for its best outcomes that actually you need to get some not-very-savoury characters' trust even if you're then going to use it against them.

(I guess this is also an issue with streaming the game: a streamer is going to want things to work and hit the story beats the way they want in one run, whereas Roadwarden is in part designed around being tight for time and you probably having an incomplete and imperfect set of resolutions to things).

And no problem! Roadwarden has definitely become one of my core Games To Recommend To People in the last year or so :)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2023, 05:08:50 PM »
Oh dear! Just so I understand better - were some plotlines blocked for V even though they didn't really confront Thais or do anything to harm her?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2023, 05:58:27 PM »
I'll give more details in tag, it hasn't been anything hugely major but just worth noting how things played out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2023, 07:50:25 PM »
Thank you, that's very helpful. : ) I'll definitely consider what I could change about it. I don't know if I want to rewrite the fisher's hamlet completely to fit into a potential thais-less run, but I should still add it to my list of potential upgrades for the game.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: May 07, 2023, 12:25:22 AM »
Here's a text moment that feels a bit out-of-order as well, with the combination of discussing the event that's already happened and being given the option to inform the character about it, which due to other circumstances they clearly already know:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)