Author Topic: The Sub-Factions Project  (Read 18619 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Sub-Factions Project
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »
I have been having some good conversations with Cincinnatus at TWC about sub factions for the Rebels and I have decided to make a project for it. I know the Rebels have this enabled when you highlight one of their cities:

Rebel City (Athenian Rebels) etc.

Now is it possible to make it this?

Rebel City (Athenians) etc.

Also is it possible to do this with other factions? For example:

Gallic Town (Aedui) etc
Greek City (Spartans) etc

Please let me know. I hope Cincinnatus registers here so we can begin work. Others are inclined to join as well.

So here is the format we will be using. I will use the Spartans for example:

Spartans

Sub-Faction to: Greeks
Settlments: Sparta
Unique Troops: Helot troops, Spartan Hoplites, etc
Significance: Was it's own Kingdom, went through reforms etc etc
Leaders: Kleomenes etc
Alternate Campaign: Yes
Goals: unify Greece, defeat Macedonians

Just kind of like a profile for each sub faction to help in the process of making them. It will also help with the map and the making of the AOR system as well as the alternate campaigns! I will wait for Cincinnatus to arrive before I begin. I will keep a log/list of factions completed

Here are the current cities. I will be going in order. They are subject to change.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:28:15 AM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Cincinnatus

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Sub-Factions Project
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
I am here

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »
Okay then! We shall start with Italy. Now every region has a rebel faction assigned to it, even if they are owned by a regular faction. So, we will start with the obvious in Rome.

Latins or Latin League
Settlement(s): Rome
Unique Troops: Latin Infantry(?) Socii troops
Significance: The Latins were successfully dealt with by Rome in 338 BC. Some of their towns were Romanized while others became partially Roman. During the Social War, they stayed loyal to Rome.
Leaders: N/A
Alternate Campaign: No

Really the question for these guys is did they exist? What Rebel faction will be present if the Romans are defeated or if Rome Revolts? I feel as if they are the logical choice. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:20:29 PM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »
My belief is that it's impossible to subfaction any faction other than the rebels, though I don't have confirmation of that. Furthermore, AFAIK it's impossible to make rebel AIs expansionistic (aka a rebel subfaction is tied to particular provinces). I'd love to be proven wrong on both counts though.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »
Well I am really hoping that I can sub-faction the factions that were not necessarily united. If not, I won't make a big deal about it as they can still be represented by units and geographic location.

As far as the Rebel sub-factions are concerned, I know that they are not going to be expansionistic. If they could be I'd love to know how. My goal would be to make them similar to how they were in EB.

Also I will make it clear when we make certain sub factions to include the fact that there will be a provincial campaign for them, such as Sparta or the Suebi.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can't subfaction them, though you can do things like province-restricted buildings and recruitment which can go a long way towards simulating that I guess.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »
Yeah that's what I will plan on doing. We will see what happens.

Updated OP and Latin Post. Seems like the Latins will be the first sub-faction confirmed on this forum. My only other choice would have to be Roman Rebels or something. I will wait a little while before moving on to the next one just in case something changes.

comrade_general

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 03:20:20 AM »
Now is it possible to make it this?

Rebel City (Athenians) etc.

Also is it possible to do this with other factions? For example:

Gallic Town (Aedui) etc
Greek City (Spartans) etc

Just change their name in the rebel name file in the text folder.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 03:22:12 AM »
Okay glad it's that simple!

comrade_general

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:51 AM »
There are a lot of unused rebel 'factions' listed in there that you can use if you need more options. You probably already know the rebel factions are specified in the descr_regions file.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 04:08:13 AM »
Yes, I did know that. One thing though, it's not very difficult to add new rebel sub factions is it? I know that there is a tutorial about it on the org but if I remember correctly people still had issues

comrade_general

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 04:25:34 AM »
The easiest thing to do would be to use those extra rebel factions. Change their name in the text file and their units via the descr_rebel_factions file.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 04:51:18 AM »
Alright then. I will definitely have to take a look at it when I get back home

Cincinnatus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 06:30:09 AM »
Roman Rebels may work fairly well too.  Since Rome had a few rebellions or civil wars (Marc Anthony/Octavian, Sulla, Spartacus, Pompey/Ceasar).

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
I think Roman Rebels could be a different sub faction though. Maybe they would pop up when cities have low public order or something. I will stick to the Latins.

Now I will finish up the minor players in Italy:

Etruscans
Sub-faction to: Rebels
Settlements: Arretium
Unique Troops: Etruscan Hoplites (?)
Significance: Were barely hanging around at this point, and were located around Arretium. The Romans conquered Arretium in the late 4th centurey BC. The Etruscans were involved in the Third Samnite War which ended in 290 BC, and the Romans campaigned against them in the years after that. I believe the Etruscans were fully subdued sometime in the 260's BC. So my thought would be for maybe some scripted armies to appear now and then until a certain time period or maybe until a certain building is built in Arretium.

Umbrians
Settlement(s): Ariminum
Unique Troops: Umbrian Hillmen (?)
Significance: Really they would pretty much be exactly as the Etruscans. Right now Ariminum is not a city. Instead it is Caesena. I don't know if Rome owned this city or not in 280.. My sources say Rome didn't take Ariminum until 268 BC. So we will have to see.

Piceni
Settlement(s): Ancona
Unique Troops: Piceni Spearmen (?)
Significance: Not much is really known about them, except that they lived on the east coast of Italy where Ancona is. Would probably not appear much.

Campanians
Settlement(s): Capua
Unique Troops: Campanian Hoplites (?) Campanian Cavalry (?)
Significance: I believe they were fully subdued by the Romans at this time as Capua was one of Rome's most important allied cities. Nonetheless they offer good AOR troops.

Samnites
Settlement(s): Malventum
Unique Troops: Samnite Spearmen, Samnite Swordsmen (?)
Significance: Were finally subdued in 290 BC, but it's only ten years after that. I believe they could still be hostile, and maybe pop up if Pyrrhus is successful. They were major players in the Social War.

*Lucanians, Bruttians, Messapians, Marsi
Settlements: Varies. Essentially none, but the Lucanians could have Tarentum, Messapians Croton, and Bruttians Rhegium if given the oppurtunity maybe? Reason that I am not sure is the fact that Tarentum would be the Tarentines, and Croton and Rhegium as their own city states.
Unique Troops: Lucanian Skirmishers (?) Bruttian Infantry (?) Marsian Spearmen (?)
Significance: They might not even make it as sub-factions, hence the asterix. The only way these peoples would get represented is by their units. However I have an idea that even though Tarentum would be owned by the Greeks, that a Lucanian army could still pop up in the area? Or the Marsians could pop up randomly throughout Italy?

Ligurians
Settlement(s): Genua
Unique Troops: Ligurian Infantry (?) Ligurian Cavalry (?) Ligurian Skirmshers (?)
Significance: The Ligurians were their own people, many ancient scholars place them around Massilia and even as far as Iberia. However they were located around Genua (their main city). They were used a lot as mercenaries for Carthage and Greek city states. They were finally subdued by the Romans in the 2nd century BC

Veneti
Settlement(s): Patavium
Unique Troops: Veneti Hoplites (?) Veneti Skirmishers
Significance: Were around until at least the 2nd Punic War where they allied with Rome and sent troops to Rome to aid them when Hannibal was campaigning. In 302 BC they were attacked by a Spartan Naval force but they captured and destroyed their ships. They warred with Celtic peoples in the area and allied with the Cenomani. The Veneti are debated to be Illyrian but they could also be Italian, or even a mix.

Croton
Settlement(s): Croton
Unique Troops: None
Significance: A greek city state, I believe Rome had occupied Croton a little before 280 BC due to Lucanian and Bruttian Raids. Also I believe this occupation sparked the conflict with Tarentum. Crotn defected to Hannibal and served as his base of operations during the 2nd Punic War.

Mamertines at Rhegium
Settlement(s): Rhegium
Unique Troops: Mamertine Infantry (?)
Significance: Another greek city state, it's Roman garrison defected to the Mamertines in 280 BC as the garrison consisted of mainly Campanian troops of similar stock to the Mamertines. Held off Bruttian raids, and Pyrrhus. Was captured by the Romans in the late 270's BC and the traitors were taken to Rome for trial and execution.

Okay so there are all of the minor sub-factions that could possibly be encountered in the campaign. Notice how I put a '(?)' after most of the troops. That is because I still need to figure out what I want to do for units in the Italian AOR. I could do what RTR Platinum and just make 'Italian Troops' or I could go with the proposed units above.

Now onto the three Major sub-factions, that will be playable through alternate campaigns:

Insubres
Sub-faction to: Rebels, Gauls
Settlement(s): Medilanium, Accerae
Unique Troops: Insubres Infantry (?) Insubres Cavalry (?)
Significance: The Insubres will represent the Cisalpine Gauls who were not finally subdued until after the second Punic War.
Alternate Campaign: Yes, through the Gauls faction
Goals: Hold Northern Italian Provinces, defeat Romans

Boii
Sub-faction to: Rebels, Gauls
Settlements: Bononia, a settlement yet to be determined north of Pannonia
Unique Troops: Boii Infantry (?)
Significance: The Boii were an interesting faction who were split. Half being in nothern Italy and half being in south-eastern germany. They will be fun to play as in my mind. Right now Felsina is Bononia.
Alternate Campaign: Yes, through the Gauls faction
Goals: Hold Northern Italian and Pannonian Provinces, defeat Illyrians

Tarentum
Sub-faction to Rebels, Greeks
Settlements: Tarentum
Unique Troops: Tarentine Leukaspides (?), Tarentine Cavalry (?)
Significance: The strongest city state in Italy, the Tarentines began a War with Rome that drew Pyrrhus into Italy. They will be allied to Epirus and should aid in the fight with Rome. If successful they could turn on Epirus, take Rome, or venture to Sicily. It will be a tough campaign but worth the challenge.
Alternate Campaign: Yes, through the Greek faction
Goals: Take southern Italian Provinces, Syracuse, defeat faction Rome

So all of Italy is now represented, if anyone has any more suggestions for Italian peoples let them be known. However if you do, please use cities from the city list in the OP. I will move on to Sicily and Sardinia/Corsica later.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:09:12 PM by ahowl11 »