Author Topic: Discussion: The Map  (Read 29913 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Discussion: The Map
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:03 PM »
Well do you think that we should hold off on changes for now? I mean, the map as is, is not bad at all. We will be going into detail once we get the 2nd BETA released so maybe it's best if we just stand pat and not risk anything.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
Hey you asked me about those towns  ;D You are the mod leader here, I'm not too bothered if you implement it now or later or whenever, no worries ;)
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »
Okay dokay... again then:

If we want to keep Argentorate, it seems there was a Celtic settlement at Baden-Baden (the German city on the other side of the border), so we would only have to move it to the other side of the Rhine, 20 kms downstream. The Romans later called it Aquae, a Celtic name doesn't seem to be known, but we could still call it Aquae. And when someone complains that Aquae was only founded in 80 BC we'll tell him exactly that. For most pre-Roman settlements North of Italy we'll have this problem anyway.

As for Mogontiacum there was a Celtic town called Altiaia South of Mainz. Altiaia is today called Alzey (so you can see where it is). Altaia and Aquae are closer at each other than Mogontiacum and Argentorate, maybe that's a problem?

Maybe we can substitute Argentorate for Aquae and Mongotiacum for Heraclea Pontica due to the fact that there's too many settlements in Germania.

Thebes is too close to the mountains? If you mean the Egyptian one, you should just lower the mountains a bit, if you mean the Greek one we could replace it with another city perhaps.

Is refering to Egyptian Tebes. If you take a look at the screenshots I posted you'll see that half of it it's inside a mountain.

By the way I have to applaud your friend for choosing Gortyn to represent Crete :D I always say everyone it was the most powerful polis on the island during this time frame, but RTR6, RTRVII, RTW, EB, RSII and Rome II have always fielded it's lesser rival Knossos or the rather unimportant Kydonia. I also like having Naxos and Mytilene, hopefully we can keep them  ;D Considering the Nasiotic League was there we might give them to the Greek superfaction?

Well, if i remember well, the suggestion was yours :P. Total Realism!

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 11:01:19 PM »
Did I? Where? ;D

Yes true I saw it by now. It looks on google maps like they real mountains to the East are about 10 kms away so we could just extend the plain a bit.

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
Did I? Where? ;D

Yes true I saw it by now. It looks on google maps like they real mountains to the East are about 10 kms away so we could just extend the plain a bit.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »
Ahh... YES!  ;D Are you also named Bercor on TWC?

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 11:14:32 PM »
Ahh... YES!  ;D Are you also named Bercor on TWC?

Yes, but I'm a pretty low-profile player. :P

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:49 PM »
Yeah for now we will just stay as is.. I want to make changes but I think that staying as is, is the best for the mod.

I've talked to leoni from TWC and he agreed to make a new map for us. It would be a skeleton map at first and we would have to fill it up ourselves. I figured that we would do this since we will be researching each region in depth as it is. The map will be made based off a modern day satellite image so that tells me that we will have 3 concerns:

1. The Aral Sea will need to be constructed to be a full Sea (shame what has happened to it)
2. The Persian Gulf will need to be altered to match how it was back in ancient times
3. The Suez Canal may have to be changed or removed

Now, I want to ask your opinions on this matter.

Should we:

1. Get the brand new map and slowly 'populate' it based off our research?
2. Stay with the current map and risk messing up the balance that it has.

There are pros and cons to each.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »
Well, honestly, I would wait and see how it's the new map. If it's better than the current I would go for option 1. If not, option 2. But a new map would be nice...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 11:32:07 PM »
Yeah, we need to see how it looks. I want to do it because of all the research that can be done to make everything balanced and historical. The frustrating part would be that we could only have 199 settlements, and one of those needs to represent the terra_incognita. So essentially we would have 198 regions/settlements to play with.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 11:38:25 PM »
Yeah, we need to see how it looks. I want to do it because of all the research that can be done to make everything balanced and historical. The frustrating part would be that we could only have 199 settlements, and one of those needs to represent the terra_incognita. So essentially we would have 198 regions/settlements to play with.

That's the hardcoded maximum though, right? Not much we could do...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 11:52:16 PM »
Yup. We need to be wise with each settlement but also try to be realistic. People want an equal amount of regions everywhere. Historically and realistically this is not how the map should be made. Anarchon has a good theory. The center part of the map should have the most cities, as you extend outwards there should be less cities.

So Germania, Britannia, the Steppes, India, Arabia, and the Sahara should not have a whole lot of cities.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 12:00:21 AM »
Yup. We need to be wise with each settlement but also try to be realistic. People want an equal amount of regions everywhere. Historically and realistically this is not how the map should be made. Anarchon has a good theory. The center part of the map should have the most cities, as you extend outwards there should be less cities.

So Germania, Britannia, the Steppes, India, Arabia, and the Sahara should not have a whole lot of cities.

Yeah, I agree. It's ridiculous having the same or more settlements in Germania that in Italy.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 12:03:58 AM »
Yeah so we just need to be smart with our city selection. HamilcarBarca was right in his Carthage report, Carthage should not be overly concerned with Western Africa, instead it should be concerned with it's islands. Actually this makes me want to make a new thread based off AI expansion, just so we have an idea when it comes to settlements.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »
Yeah so we just need to be smart with our city selection. HamilcarBarca was right in his Carthage report, Carthage should not be overly concerned with Western Africa, instead it should be concerned with it's islands. Actually this makes me want to make a new thread based off AI expansion, just so we have an idea when it comes to settlements.

Go ahead.