Author Topic: Development Diary  (Read 63618 times)

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
Development Diary
« on: September 24, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
Updates about the project are posted here - please feel free to leave comments, questions or suggestions.

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Development Diary
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:29:40 PM »
I like the sound of quests. How do they work mechanically - are there extra items to move around, or does it involve getting heroes to certain places, or?

One other thought; it would be interesting to test the same game, but giving larger points increments for doing things without changing the balance. Do players feel happier if they get 10 points for everything and end the game on thirty than if they get one and end the game on three? I suspect they might, which would be interesting from a design perspective.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:06:05 PM »
At present the quests are simply a reward for achieving a certain milestone. The Song of Orpheus, for example, rewards a player who has a certain quantity of hero pieces on the board (5 in a two player game, fewer for multiplayer games). The nature of the game means they couldn't really be location-specific. I'm not happy with the current system though. They basically reward a player for doing things they otherwise have no intention of doing, so players aren't bothering. I'm working on a new version though.

Changing the quantity of victory points is a common piece of feedback. "Perhaps each player has one specific artefact on the board worth, for them, not one but two victory points". It's an option, and could possibly be implemented in the quests. The challenge there is that the boards are currently balanced based on available VP's, so they may need re-jigging.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:14:34 PM »
What I was wondering wasn't simply quantity changes, but scaling changes - if the balance is exactly the same but literally everything is triple the points, do players feel happier about it?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
It's not something I've tried, but I could playtest it. My concern would be gamers of a mathematical persuasion who would question the logic of not choosing the lowest common denominator in the scoring system.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »
True - and I guess MoO's target audience might have more of those than it does casual gamers.

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 12:45:37 AM »
Good post - and the iceberg metaphor is very true indeed!

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 10:00:44 PM »
A look at a day of board games in an educational setting and an event I'm excited to be a part of https://masterofolympus.wordpress.com/2018/01/25/diary-15-beginnings/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:15 PM »
Sorry I can't get there on the third, hope it goes well!

Dare I ask what the pomegranate card does?

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »
Thanks Jubal! Hope all is good with you. The pomegranate reads "move a stack you control which is in the Underworld by up to two tiles". It's one of the Knowledge cards, which give a bonus to the final action of a turn (normally a stack would only be able to move by one tile at this point). There's another Knowledge card with the same effect: The Helm of Invisibility.

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 05:05:03 PM »
Good job on the mailing list - I wish I could ever get that sort of response when I need help with stuff...!

Fun to have some riffs/themes for other boards too; what're your plans in terms of board construction for a final game? Modular, or?