Author Topic: Development Diary  (Read 63600 times)

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Development Diary
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 04:30:55 PM »
In a way it was good just to know that my emails are being read! Regarding the board, I am certainly going to include the main board, the one based on Greece and its islands. I may also include Atlantis on the back of it. I'm not going to make the boards modular: although it would be very interesting, the boards generated by a modular system would, in my game, be less interesting than the ones I design fully. This is because the key thing is asymmetry: a very different start point for each player. Designing a modular system which did this and still maintained balance would be very hard, and I'd lose some of the theme. I may try it in future projects though!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 10:34:18 PM »
Yes, that's fair enough :) (Though of course with modular boards you can have certain "recommended configurations", like there's a standard setup version for Catan for example.)

But yeah, a single double-sided board for Greece + Atlantis sounds a good basic option.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
Diary #18 - Back to Cube One
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 12:05:44 AM »
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:58:19 PM by Jubal »

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 10:31:20 PM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »
Your link on diary #18 was broken, so I've fixed it :)

I like the name Buckyball games - interesting question will be how many people get the C60 reference and how many people will think it's some kind of obscure Marvel reference!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
Thanks Jubal, the marvel reference is a mystery to me though...?

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 05:55:41 PM »
A visit to a youth club including semi-LARPing and Nerf https://masterofolympus.wordpress.com/2018/07/26/diary-23-young-heroes/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »
The use of space stuff is interesting, definitely. I think there may be a degree of kinaesthetic/directional learning there - humans are pretty good at remembering how to get to places, and learning the routes towards a place may also let people pick up other information on what places do more easily? Also interesting to hear your thoughts on how it intersects with disability - it sounds like the sort of event that was accessible to a degree, but I can think of conditions that could give people problems with that sort of game (people who get exhausted easily from having to move between rooms, or who might get sensory overload).

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
You're right it probably helped the children understand the distinctions between the areas to actually spread them out. They'd already been charging around the venue in their Nerf war so they knew their way around and had divided it into "bases". Regarding accessibility I think its strength was how flexible it could be made, so depending on the group you could change the layout or the mechanics and people could still get the experience in a way that suited them

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 10:36:55 PM »

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 05:49:48 PM »

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 01:35:25 PM »
Glad to see the Birmingham group is still doing well :)