Author Topic: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story  (Read 81428 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: In which Jubal decides to find out how hard writing comics is
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 11:19:07 PM »
I agree, I'm just still stuck on trying to work out a name! I think I'm struggling a bit with it because I'm not yet sure what the comic's defining feature really is other than "set in a fantasy variant of Georgia". I'm hoping that will become clearer to me in the next few strips, as I introduce some more recurring/major characters (Botso is great fun to write, but I also want him to have some people to go on adventures with). Suggestions/thoughts appreciated on the naming issue, anyway.

I'm very slowly compiling ep 5 now, in which the first of those extra recurring characters will make an appearance; ep 4 is all ready and I'll put it out next weekend.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

HanSolo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 12:14:03 AM »
"They should build me libraries" - love it! Very Pratchett

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »
Some minor updates:

• Title initially set as "Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story"
  • The title of strip 2 is now ending (but I didn't shoot the Missionary), because I thought the joke could get lost for people who don't know that an Ordinary is a clerical role
  • I've nearly finished #5, but it's being slow. I'm hoping #6 will be easier.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 01:00:52 AM »
because I thought the joke could get lost for people who don't know that an Ordinary is a clerical role
This reminded me of a quote from SF and fantasy author Mary Gentle, in her introduction to her White Crow series:
Quote from: Mary Gentle
This is why, when I say that there are jokes in Rats & Gargoyles that only three people in the world will understand, and one of them is dead, this is not an apology.
Please don't be afraid of obscure jokes and subtle references. Maybe some people won't get them, but others will - they'll connect what you've written with what they know, and a certain joyful smile will cross their face: "Oh, yes, that's what he means." Or maybe they won't understand at first, but will be motivated to do some research, and then that moment of discovery and connection will come a little later.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 11:44:49 PM »
That's a good point and well made - change reversed, since I think Ordinary makes a marginally better joke. :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »
Ep 4: Service de-liver-y

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 04:03:12 PM by Jubal »

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 11:52:40 PM »
I'm so glad I'm not jaundiced about this series :P

Though I note that the toastmaster first appears as an odd grey-green colour, rather than the expected yellow?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
Yes, I was trying for "generally sickly" - I've uploaded a new version with a more obvious yellow colouration (and a typo fix, and an enlarged "magic aura" in panel 5).

pixeldungeonadventure

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »
Hehe, nice. I think #3 is my favorite with #4 being a close second. Keep up the good work.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 10:11:07 AM »
5. Travel Proposal

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 04:02:34 PM by Jubal »

comrade_general

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 04:26:53 PM »
:(

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
6. Best Foot Forward

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 03:58:36 PM by Jubal »

SLiV

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2018, 10:16:28 PM »
I'm already a big fan of Otarid, Learned Above All. Not in the least because his magic seems to be teal-colored.

Hm, I'll have a think about that - I've tried messing with other fonts but none of them seemed to improve it really. Does the font still look unclear to you if you look at the image in full-size? (Click on it in a web browser to enlarge).
Ah yes, that helps a bunch.

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »
Funny comic. I like it.

One minor nitpick: in ep4. you have a character facing right and then in 4th strip he faces left. Try to avoid changing orientation unless you change the setting (camera angle) as well, because it breaks the flow. As I was focusing on the text, I though it was the main protagonist speaking based on the position and orientation.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:38:02 PM by bigosaur »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »
@Bigosaur Hm, OK, I'll think about that. The change of facing was actually intentional - to show that he's no longer talking directly to Botso, but calling out to the whole room - but I can see why that'd be confusing. I'll think on it, it's a good point.

@SLiV: Yeah, Otarid seems to be a fan favourite after two panels' worth of speech. I shall have to find a way to bring the Learned Above All back into the story not too far into the future :) I'm still thinking maybe a breakout page where Botso tells the readers about the cosmology/deities might work well.