Author Topic: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story  (Read 81414 times)

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »
The change of facing was actually intentional - to show that he's no longer talking directly to Botso, but calling out to the whole room

Ah, it makes sense now. But, I think a much better scene composition for that would be to show the whole room of people then.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
Yes, that's a good point. I'm not sure if I'll get round to going back and trying to fix it, but it's definitely something to keep in mind for the next ones I'm doing - thankyou for the feedback, it's really useful! :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2018, 03:57:16 PM »
7. It's probably a Maille-ard

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:42:30 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
Nice. "next" link is doing an error

How that mallard is managing to remain afloat with all that armour on is beyond me, though.
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2018, 04:39:46 PM »
All fixed, I think you got me in the middle of sorting the links out :)

As for the duck, the question having been asked I of course then had to try and work it out...

Using this paper , a mallard comes out at about 1.876 litres (that is, 0.001876 cubic metres) in volume, and 1.28 kilos in weight. Its gravitation force downwards (gravity times mass) is thus about 12.59N, upwards (volume times water density times gravity) is about 18.4 N. If we assume that, albeit weighted down, we can afford to get it to about 17.4N downwards before it has too much trouble (above 18.4 is where it should sink), then we can reverse the calculation and divide that 17.4 by gravity (of 9.81) to work out the maximum mass of duck possible, which comes to about 1.75 kilos. In other words, a duck actually should be able to wear nearly half a kilo of armour in theory. Given that Wiki tells me a plate armour suit weighs around 20kg for a 60-70kg human, I think you could probably keep the ratio the same and scale that down and make one that was 0.4kg for a 1.2kg duck. It might not be a very happy duck, but physics suggests it should still be a floating one :)

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2018, 06:37:40 PM »
Using this paper , a mallard comes out at about 1.876 litres (that is, 0.001876 cubic metres) in volume, and 1.28 kilos in weight. Its gravitation force downwards (gravity times mass) is thus about 12.59N, upwards (volume times water density times gravity) is about 18.4 N. If we assume that, albeit weighted down, we can afford to get it to about 17.4N downwards before it has too much trouble (above 18.4 is where it should sink), then we can reverse the calculation and divide that 17.4 by gravity (of 9.81) to work out the maximum mass of duck possible, which comes to about 1.75 kilos. In other words, a duck actually should be able to wear nearly half a kilo of armour in theory. Given that Wiki tells me a plate armour suit weighs around 20kg for a 60-70kg human, I think you could probably keep the ratio the same and scale that down and make one that was 0.4kg for a 1.2kg duck. It might not be a very happy duck, but physics suggests it should still be a floating one :)

It's probably weird, but the length to which you have gone to prove it here was really funny, perhaps even the funniest thing in this thread so far. Consider maybe incorporating it into the comic? Tusky's comment that prompted it should also be included somehow. Perhaps something like the two old guys in the Muppet Show.

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2018, 08:40:51 PM »
Nice stereotype subversion, but the narrator in my brain couldn't help going "phyyysics" at the look at the armoured duck that still managed to be perfectly afloat... :)
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »
Yeah, maybe I need to do a "readers' mail special" or something with the supporting calculations :)

comrade_general

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2018, 10:34:35 PM »
I'm just gonna go the simple route and assume that it's sitting on an underwater stone or pillar.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2018, 11:08:14 PM »
Now I feel like nobody believes my calculations :'(

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2018, 10:17:56 AM »
For a completely separate reason I am amassing a small flotilla of armoured mallards.
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 11:29:38 PM »
I have worked out plenty of plans for future comics, but I'm lacking the time to finish ep 08 and I'm stuck on the dialogue again :( I had a workable idea for 8, 9, and 10, but then realised I needed to shift those to be 9, 10, and 11 so we could have an 8 that actually introduced us to Varam now he's turned up. As such, temporary hiatus, but don't worry, we'll be back soon :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
8. An Uncomplicated Fellow

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:33:56 PM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »
"It's not that complicated" LOL. I might start to use this in everyday conversations.  ;D

pixeldungeonadventure

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 01:33:09 AM »
Haha. This character's a keeper.