Author Topic: Development Diary  (Read 64717 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Development Diary
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2022, 12:35:30 AM »
A good writeup - hope you're not still being pursued by wrathful Olympians!

I miss that sort of festival/expo scene: not that there aren't some equivalents in the German-speaking world, but the big ones are big and generic and the small ones are very German-speaking, and getting stands/stalls at things is much more complex (I looked into getting stands here for things and at all the places I looked you have to be legally tax registered to have one, for example).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

indiekid

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2022, 11:52:40 AM »
That's frustrating! I did come away from the Expo looking forward to all the small things popping up here in the UK. Do you think you'll one day be confident enough in your German to attend one of those smaller cons? Perhaps catch you at one back in the UK some time =)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2022, 09:00:12 AM »
Maybe re smaller cons, but the bureaucracy issue/cons not really giving you stands unless you're a heavily legally registered entity still remains.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

indiekid

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2022, 08:45:19 PM »
This one goes a bit deep into a specific mechanic, probably a headache to read. Is there a "right" way to write this stuff up? https://masterofolympus.wordpress.com/2022/08/02/diary-54-chinese-takeaway/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2022, 01:38:52 PM »
I found this interesting! Turn order is tricky to work with, especially when you break away from it being a fixed feature of a game. Is going first/acting sooner almost always an advantage in current versions of the game? That's one of the odder keys to it, it can be tricky to work out what the "I can act before my opponents can respond" vs "I can react with the knowledge of where everything is" balance really is for a game, if that makes sense.

indiekid

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2022, 08:59:37 PM »
I am interested to see how those two different considerations play out. I'm drawing a lot on X Wing the Miniatures Game at the moment. This assigns an initiative value to each ship, with lower ones moving first in a round. Potentially pointing the wrong way when the shooting starts, but also potentially getting in the way of the higher initiative ships. Players used to be able to control ties in initiative value by having lower-point lists (so-called "bidding") but sadly this feature was removed.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2022, 02:27:47 PM »
Ooh, OK, that's an interesting system - I've never played X-wing, it does look fun though.

indiekid

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2022, 09:25:22 PM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2022, 02:57:31 PM »
I like the idea of focusing on, as you say being “of” the community not simply “at” a shop.

In some ways it would be nice if that was a viable model more generally: that boardgames could be produced and shaped at very localised levels with the designer-storyteller being able to focus on small groups. The general issue with that is obviously the financial model of it (though full time professional TTRPG game masters are now a thing, so who knows?).

indiekid

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2022, 09:14:21 PM »
I wonder if the model is also applicable to LARPing - some people go to a lot of effort to tailor games to their community

indiekid

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2022, 07:27:29 PM »

indiekid

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2023, 02:05:29 PM »
A look at where I am with my conventions and projects https://masterofolympus.wordpress.com/2023/02/14/diary-57-plan-a/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2023, 02:14:35 PM »
It could be said the game has strayed a long way from my original vision but, after twelve years, I can’t remember what that was so I’m OK with it.
This is pretty spot on with how I approach problems too :)

Also, incredibly pedant thing, but: you rein, not reign, your enthusiasm in. The analogy is to pulling on a horse's reins to get it to stop, rather than to the reign of a monarch.

What will you be doing in Spain? :)

indiekid

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2023, 02:30:27 PM »
Haha I forgot I was going to check that spelling, thanks. I will be visiting my brother in Madrid then heading south to see Granada, Cadiz etc etc. After that it's probably going to be Mexico

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2023, 02:33:49 PM »
You do manage to get around! Hope you enjoy it, I've never been to southern Spain, I'd love to see those cities :)