Author Topic: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story  (Read 81425 times)

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mountain Leopards: An Adventuring Story
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2019, 11:58:00 PM »
In fairness, I'm pretty sure thaumaturgical linguistics isn't the specific course you're doing :)

You're right, it's not... But from my current position, it looks like fun...
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »
16. Faay, Enchantress

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:39:15 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »
Hurray, finally a new episode. Not much happening but it is fun.

BTW, one sentence might be wrong: "Once I'd been sold on once" ? I can't figure out what it means, maybe the second "once" is extra?

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2019, 08:59:04 PM »
Found my favourite line so far: "Anyone can be boring. I just choose not to be." That sounds liks my life's motto right there... :caradilis:
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2019, 11:18:35 PM »
BTW, one sentence might be wrong: "Once I'd been sold on once" ? I can't figure out what it means, maybe the second "once" is extra?
The two uses of "once" are doing subtly different things: the first one is equivalent to "after", while the second one is the more obvious "the first time" or "for the first time" (as distinct from "the second time" or "the third time"). So the sentence becomes "After I had been sold on for the first time...".

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2019, 10:43:39 AM »
The two uses of "once" are doing subtly different things: the first one is equivalent to "after", while the second one is the more obvious "the first time" or "for the first time" (as distinct from "the second time" or "the third time"). So the sentence becomes "After I had been sold on for the first time...".

Ah, I get it now. I'm not a native speaker, and I never heard it phrased like that before. Thanks!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
I'm sorry this has taken so long to arrive, I'm really struggling with wrist/arm problems lately. And yes, there may not be a lot of plot movement in the next few strips - the necessary exposition sequences to explain bits of what's going on have to happen at some point, and I think I need some of them now before the plot can get much further.

Regarding the phrasing - yeah, as Glaur said it's possible because of the different uses of once, but I guess I could change it to "after I'd been sold on once" if that'd make it easier for non-native speakers to parse?

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2019, 11:20:38 AM »
I guess I could change it to "after I'd been sold on once" if that'd make it easier for non-native speakers to parse?

No need, I think it was just me. I'm used to seeing "sold on" in "sold on it" phrase, as in "convinced in something" and that confused me. Only when Glaurung explained did I start to look at "sold" as actual selling process ;)

Ierne

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »
So that was why you were asking for prison break ideas! This is a cool episode, I'm one of the wierd people who love exposition. And I'm intrigued by the possibility that some kind of mythical creature might be showing up soon.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
17. Spies In All Four Walls

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:41:57 PM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
Great "episode". And I love the map.  :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »
I already had much of the map in my head, but it's good to get it down (though nb just to cover myself for future consistency issyes, this is a pre-modern map and I can't promise it's to scale as shown! :) )

The biggest challenge of this one was trying to find a distinctive enough look for the kadjis. I was reasonably pleased with the eventual outcome - a lot of my early ones had them looking too much like ghouls or something.

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »
this is a pre-modern map and I can't promise it's to scale as shown! :)

:)

It would be nice to have a more detailed version with some forests shown as well. The way it is now, it only shows plains and mountains.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
Well, this one is a very very zoomed out several-kingdoms-scale map, even considering that not all the characters come from places shown on it! I'm thinking that every chapter (which should each be 30-40 pages) I'll do a bonus page or two of extra world background stuff, some of those could be more close up and detailed maps (I'm thinking another one will be Botso giving a two page guide to the planet-gods of Datvieti). :)

Ierne

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2019, 08:35:28 PM »
Wait, you're planning multiple 40 page chapters?!? Epic! Ive got a lot of this to look forward to :)
I also really liked the map.