Author Topic: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]  (Read 60798 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Roadwarden [Fantasy/RPG Elements/Pixel Art] [DEMO]
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2020, 08:57:05 PM »
Yeah, that's very reasonable :) I like the nods to other seasons a lot anyhow :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »
You can now find the newest Roadwarden devlog on Itch.io , with updates on the new approach to the character’s goals, the crossbow rework, the heart of the forest, the game’s release date, and more!

Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.
Tales From Windy Meadow - my fantasy pixel art Visual Novel.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
I’m having a crazy month, but I’ve managed to test some new things.

1) The new d6 icon, that both makes it clear that a choice has a random chance attached to it, and allows me to alter some of the older choices to make them more interesting. It’s especially useful in combat - and gambling.

2) The new “wait” option, a quality-of-life addition to the UI.

3) A WIP illustration. I’m struggling to find a balance between the chaos and emptiness of the wilderness. I'll need to rework it, but I think it's an interesting attempt.

October will be one of the loosest months I’ll have in 2020, so I’ll be able to finally focus on the game’s development. I can’t even express how happy I am. ^^
Roadwarden - an illustrated text-based RPG in which you explore and change a hostile, grim realm. Currently in development.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2020, 08:58:19 AM »
Nice!

3) A WIP illustration. I’m struggling to find a balance between the chaos and emptiness of the wilderness. I'll need to rework it, but I think it's an interesting attempt.

I think you captured it quite well there. Are you reworking the entire scene - or keeping the basic setting and refining details?

October will be one of the loosest months I’ll have in 2020, so I’ll be able to finally focus on the game’s development. I can’t even express how happy I am. ^^

I understand how you feel I've had a similar situation here - hope you get a good chunk done! :)

<< Signature redacted >>

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
Thanks, Tusky! I'm actually doing pretty well so far, I've been able to put some days into writing and designing stuff and I'm quite happy with the results. Actually, Poland now has a HUGE spike in Covid cases, and being able to focus on a project and have a bit of escape from reality into my fantasy setting is a huge deal for my mental health.

And how is your project doing? I don't use social media lately, but whenever I see a tweet of yours I like what I'm seeing. The merchant wagon looks great.

After some time has passed, I think I'll actually keep this illustration in the game. It's used in an area where the player spends about 3-5 minutes, and right now I think it's Good Enough for this purpose.

-------

Three inns, three different opportunities to hide from the creatures of the night.

The obvious differences are the room prices, HP restoration values, and the “breakfast included” service. But there’s more - sleeping in some spots involves unique encounters and conversations, and the prices and benefits change as the player befriends the owners of these places.

There are also other areas in the game where the player can find a shelter, but they usually involve a more effort before they get unlocked.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
One of the things that I really like about the game’s fantasy setting is its almost-post-apocalyptic feel. The overgrowing roads, the abandoned ruins, the secluded settlements, terrifying nights, and the scarcity of resources... Yet it’s not a result of a divine will, a random cataclysm, or of some plan orchestrated by an evil overlord. It’s just a harsh place to live in, and it shapes those who try to do so.

The roadwarden is not an almighty hero. While their journeys connect the few tamed scraps of the land, they keep fighting to survive and to achieve their goals, not to conquer the world or to change the “natural” order. There could be thousands of people like them alive, the realm would still struggle. It’s up to you to decide if you’re going to accept it.

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2020, 01:06:37 PM »
When your role-playing choice may be used to manipulate an NPC so you can get on their good side... What do you do? Stay honest, or tell them what they want to hear?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2020, 08:25:58 PM »
Depends how much I like them usually (this having the paradox that in some RPGs the characters I most like get bad endings or hate me, precisely because I'm more likely to be instinctively honest with them...)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2020, 06:09:46 AM »
Well, to be a part of a real friendship, you have to be ready to get rejected. : (
or mauled by goblins while doing a quest for them

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
Mauled by goblins I can handle, mauled emotionally is a harder ask!

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2020, 01:03:48 PM »
Icon update! After almost two years of thinking there’s “something” wrong with them, I believe that’s a good step. ^^

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2020, 10:10:37 PM »
Lovely work as ever!

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2020, 07:03:54 AM »
Thank you! : D

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2020, 01:43:15 PM »
It took me a full month, but I’m finished with the Foggy Lake tavern, one of the last large areas in Roadwarden - well, at least when it comes to the things the PC can do here, not its “actual” size. ; ) The keeper of this place knows more about the peninsula than anyone in the North, but she rarely shares her knowledge for free.

I was missing this feeling - during the previous few months I was focused on small content chunks and little areas, and now I was able to truly explore this place and the personalities of its dwellers. I’m quite happy with all the unique interactions you’ll find here, inventing them was such a pleasure. I can see how my XP grind affects the structure of specific scenes, as well as the overall quality of writing. It’s been going great, and I’m learning so much!

This place is especially unique since some players will reach it after maybe and hour and a half of playtime (or a minute of speedrunning), encountering it as a first large shelter in the game and the introduction to the “civilized” part of the world, while for others it’s going to be a spot reached after 10+ hours, and in such a case its impact will be very different. I had to take both of these scenarios into consideration, and well, I can’t wait to show you the results. ^^

Aure

• I love good stories.
    • View Profile
    • Moral Anxiety Studio
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2020, 01:23:52 PM »
The new title screen, with a slightly altered prologue. I think it looks pretty good, and I still love the music.